What's new
What's new

General electrical question...220v/440v

CCL4

Aluminum
I was recently given a South Bend Magnaturn for the price of rigging. It has a 15hp main motor driving the hydraulic pump. I believe that this makes it a 12**. Maybe a 1218?. The problem is that the lathe was setup for 440v in it's last home and I have 220v supply. The motor itself has low/high voltage inputs and the big transformer which I believe is the stepdown for the cpu, relays, etc. seems to have some flexibility as far as input voltage. With a machine more complex than a mill with one motor, is this generally how dual line voltage capability works, switching the motor windings and any step down transformers? I'm wondering if all the low voltage components are driven by this transformer or if there is more to it. I saw one auction listing of a Magnaturn 1200 series lathe that had the power listed as 220/440, but I suppose this could be a different model or configuration. Any opinions or past experience would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to take some decent pictures of the panel box for any electrically inclined folks out there. Thanks.

Do you have a 3 phase service?

It sounds like your machine can run either 220 or 440, provided you have a 3 phase 208 or 240 service. You'd have to change the motor winding leads, and the input leads on the transformer. Your wiring diagram should show how the different hookups go, but I'd suggest that you hire an electrician who is familiar with machinery to help you with it.

If you only have a single phase service, you'd need a phase converter.

From what I have read it sounds like you only have 220 single phase availble, if this is the case then I would suspect that you have or will be getting a phase converter that will handle the 15 hp motor. If you have the convertor or if you have 220 3 phase already then do as I did and found a step up transformer. 220v in 440v out and you won't have do do any internal wiring. I have a lathe that was wired 440 only and got the transformer at a scrape yard for $100.

Good luck
Dale

Thanks Gunsmither. My phase converter is built around a 15hp idler. I don't currently have a wiring diagram for this machine, though that would be a huge help. I wonder is there is any kind of convention to how dual voltage usually works on multiple motor/device machines? Seems like an electrician must have wired this one on site at delivery. With a single motor machine like most manual mills or lathes its easy, I've just never seen how its done with something more involved like a CNC lathe. Another concern that I have is with my supply. My phase converter isn't balanced and I also noticed that the voltage of one of my legs is a little bit high. This was with no load however so maybe its fine.

Gotchips, I've been keeping an eye out for a transformer like you described for a while now. My original interest was for powering a nice TIG welder that could be had for very little $ due to the 440v supply. That would be the easiest option, though I haven't found one yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks Gunsmither. My phase converter is built around a 15hp idler.

Another concern that I have is with my supply. My phase converter isn't balanced and I also noticed that the voltage of one of my legs is a little bit high. This was with no load however so maybe its fine.

You check for balance when loaded down. The leg you mention that is a little
bit high is the generated phase and that is fine.

I think you would be better off trying to convert the machine to 220 rather than go the transformer route. The current in-rush on a transformer large enough to run a 15HP motor will probably stall your RPC or trip the breaker.

Cal

Yes thats the direction that I'd like to go in Cal. The main 15hp hydraulic motor and coolant pump motor would be easy to rewire for 220. There is a big step down transformer soon after the 3 phase line enters the panel box that also appears to have multiple input voltage configurations. Where I'm stuck is another transformer next to this one that seems to be powering 2 bridge rectifiers and some large DC capacitors. I would guess that these power the CPU. There isn't any diagram on this transformer showing alternate input voltages. I know that there are some folks around here still operating these lathes. I'm thinking about starting a thread asking if anyone has one operating at 220v. That alone would be encouraging to know. I'm still searching for the manuals and documentation for the lathe. Maybe that will shed some light on the wiring situation.

... There is a big step down transformer soon after the 3 phase line enters the panel box that also appears to have multiple input voltage configurations. Where I'm stuck is another transformer next to this one that seems to be powering 2 bridge rectifiers and some large DC capacitors. I would guess that these power the CPU. ...
The second transformer sounds like part of a DC power supply. If you're lucky, it get it's input from the output of the big step down transformer. A few continuity tests should tell you if that's true.

If the big step down transformer is single phase, you'll want to make sure that the two phases it uses connect to the real phases from the service entrance; that is, you don't want to use the artificial phase from the RPC as one of the phases for it if it's single phase.

Cal

Unfortunately, it looks like the transformers share inputs. I'll have to ohm out exactly what is connected to what because everything is kind of twisted together in a plastic wire duct. The step down is single phase and I've started to follow the inputs back to the entry cable and label the two lines so they get powered by my single phase line and not the generated leg. I'm with you in that I don't trust my generated leg to power anything more sensitive than a motor. Definitely not a computer. Thanks for the help.

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a Magnaturn 1218. This one looks brand new. I just got it home yesterday, it is still on the trailer. But I plan on switching out the motor to single phase (I do have a phase converter ... but swapping motor is better I think). Anyway, I have a bit of experience with the 440/220 issue so I'll try and respond with some suggestions soon.

I plan on changing out the controls as well, using the Linux EMC2 package. I could use an electrical manual for the 1218 if anyone has one. I have the operation manual describing the use of Ultrapath if that would help someone.

Best Regards,

Bill

I believe your "big x-former" is for step down from 440 to 220 and isolation changing it accept 220 instead of 440 won affect the smaller transformer powering you cpu etc. Atleast that is how my machine is powered, yours might be different, but a few minutes with VOM will tell for sure.
Just be sure not to let the smoke out, cause we all know machines run on smoke, and once it comes out they don't run so good no more.

D :)

Does anyone have the Ultrapath software to share? I have a lot experience with my 1218, and would like to have the Ultrapath software. I would be willing to exchange my knowledge of how to keep these machines running for a copy.

Does anyone on this thread happen to still have their machine & would be willing to make a copy of the hard drive for me? I just got one that is missing its drive.

Thanks!

Mike

Back