Getting a 480v service installed, step down to 208 or 240? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
    I do a lot of welding in industrial buildings. Some have 240v D some have 208 Y. I have all newer miller welders, dynasty 350p Invision maxstar... they all run in 208 vs 240 but your weld settings will not be the same. Like on my passports, it says to run at 7.1 v (on dial) and 80 on wire speed. Well you will need to click it up 1 to 7.2 (only 3 clicks between numbers) to achieve normal 240v weld paramaters.

You also have to remember that 240v is +/- 3%. So 208 is also +/- 3% so dont think a 208 is 208, it could be 201.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    This. And the welders upper end will be limited somewhat.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
    You also have to remember that 240v is +/- 3%. So 208 is also +/- 3% so dont think a 208 is 208, it could be 201.
    That is where I can set the primary taps on my transformer to help keep me at 208 or above most of the time hopefully. If need be I can always install another smaller 240v transformer for a piece of equipment that truly needs it.

Now that I have learned more about this, it does seem like the 208v is possibly the right thing here since 80% of the loads after this are 120v.

To answer the valid point raised by Rob, even if it is not the ideal setup. I have a baby coming in 8weeks, we are in the middle of a gut job remodel on our home, and there is 6 figures tied up in equipment just sitting idle at the moment. Sometimes it is easier to drop some things, and move forward for now.

3. Likes Rob F. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johfoster View Post
    I have a baby coming in 8weeks, we are in the middle of a gut job remodel on our home, and there is 6 figures tied up in equipment just sitting idle at the moment. Sometimes it is easier to drop some things, and move forward for now.
    You sure like to live dangerously....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fish On View Post
    You sure like to live dangerously....
    Yeah... Was not planned like this

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got all excited this morning when a crew pulled outside the shop. They told me when I asked that they were here to dig the holes for the new poles, and when I asked when the poles were going in he said "we just dig the holes" haha. Happy to see the progress though! Here is what 23k looks like (-1 transformer).
    20200213_193137.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What single phase loads do you have and what was your single phase service rated for in amps before?...Phil