What's new
What's new

Going to look at used American Rotary converter

Andy FitzGibbon

Diamond
I have an email in to American Rotary, but figured I'd ask for opinions here too.

Going to look at a used American Rotary converter tomorrow. According to the tag, the panel is good for 20hp max start and 60hp total load, but the generator is 15KW/50 amps. It seems to me that the generator would be a bit undersized for the panel ratings, but I am far from an expert. What say you all?

Full specs:
Panel (model PCBR-WS-20-WM):
HP: 20
KVa: 19.8
Volts in/out: 240/240
Hz: 60
FLA (3 PHASE): 54
FLA (1 PHASE): 93.4
Max total load (HP/kVa): 60/59.4
Max single load (HP/kVa): 20/19.8
Min single load: N/A
Largest motor start (HP): 20*
*based on light load

Generator:
HP: 15kW
Voltage: 230/460
Amps: 50/25
RPM: 1800

I'm hoping to use this to run several motors in my shop, ranging from 2hp to a 10hp (28 FLA) that's powering my American Pacemaker lathe. It's a one man, light use shop.

Thanks,
Andy

I have an email in to American Rotary, but figured I'd ask for opinions here too.

Going to look at a used American Rotary converter tomorrow. According to the tag, the panel is good for 20hp max start and 60hp total load, but the generator is 15KW/50 amps. It seems to me that the generator would be a bit undersized for the panel ratings, but I am far from an expert. What say you all?

Full specs:
Panel (model PCBR-WS-20-WM):
HP: 20
KVa: 19.8
Volts in/out: 240/240
Hz: 60
FLA (3 PHASE): 54
FLA (1 PHASE): 93.4
Max total load (HP/kVa): 60/59.4
Max single load (HP/kVa): 20/19.8
Min single load: N/A
Largest motor start (HP): 20*
*based on light load

Generator:
HP: 15kW
Voltage: 230/460
Amps: 50/25
RPM: 1800

I'm hoping to use this to run several motors in my shop, ranging from 2hp to a 10hp (28 FLA) that's powering my American Pacemaker lathe. It's a one man, light use shop.

Thanks,
Andy

I run my whole shop off an A R 20, been flawless for years now. Whole shop means what... 15HP L&S powerturn, 7.5HP LeBlond Regal, 10HP Miltronics ML20, 5 HP Holbrook C13, 3 Mills, 3 Band saws. I run 2-3 machines at a time regularly.

I’m about to purchase an ad30 and the guy said that was minimum for 15hp spindle on a cnc. Supposed to be up to 30hp total.

Now does anybody have any words about American rotary? They seem like they have a good support and they gave me a very good price on the converter. Free shipping aswell.

I’m about to purchase an ad30 and the guy said that was minimum for 15hp spindle on a cnc. Supposed to be up to 30hp total.

Now does anybody have any words about American rotary? They seem like they have a good support and they gave me a very good price on the converter. Free shipping aswell.

Great company, I know 3 shops that have them, no issues at all.

Thanks guys. They do seem to have a good reputation, and have a lot of recognition in the phase converter world.

My concern with this particular unit is that the generator seems a bit undersized for the ratings on the panel. The generator is a true Baldor "induction generator" with no shaft, not just a random 3 phase motor... but because it's a used unit, it's possible that the two pieces were not sold together/matched appropriately.

Andy

Thanks guys. They do seem to have a good reputation, and have a lot of recognition in the phase converter world.

My concern with this particular unit is that the generator seems a bit undersized for the ratings on the panel. The generator is a true Baldor "induction generator" with no shaft, not just a random 3 phase motor... but because it's a used unit, it's possible that the two pieces were not sold together/matched appropriately.

Andy
A quick phone call to American Rotary will answer your question.

I just got off off work and gave them a call. They had me email photos of the data plates and said that they would check into it. I agree, impressive service.

I have a 15HP rated AR unit in my shop for 8 years now and it is a great trouble free unit. Fine company to deal with and they give great support.

Haven’t received it yet but I ordered on Monday night and fedex called me on Wednesday for delivery on Today.That was fast. I actually had to have them come Monday. So far service has been great. Going to have to purchase a lot of wiring and stuff to get it going though.

I called on a Sunday morning at 6:00 AM and was shocked that someone answered the phone, had an older model that didn’t match up with the information on the internet, walked me thru it with no problems. Customer service was OUTSTANDING
If I ever need another item my ONLY choice would be them,period.

Back