Going to look at used American Rotary converter
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Posts
    3,948
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    371

    Default Going to look at used American Rotary converter

    I have an email in to American Rotary, but figured I'd ask for opinions here too.

    Going to look at a used American Rotary converter tomorrow. According to the tag, the panel is good for 20hp max start and 60hp total load, but the generator is 15KW/50 amps. It seems to me that the generator would be a bit undersized for the panel ratings, but I am far from an expert. What say you all?

    Full specs:
    Panel (model PCBR-WS-20-WM):
    HP: 20
    KVa: 19.8
    Volts in/out: 240/240
    Hz: 60
    FLA (3 PHASE): 54
    FLA (1 PHASE): 93.4
    Max total load (HP/kVa): 60/59.4
    Max single load (HP/kVa): 20/19.8
    Min single load: N/A
    Largest motor start (HP): 20*
    *based on light load

    Generator:
    HP: 15kW
    Voltage: 230/460
    Amps: 50/25
    RPM: 1800

    I'm hoping to use this to run several motors in my shop, ranging from 2hp to a 10hp (28 FLA) that's powering my American Pacemaker lathe. It's a one man, light use shop.

    Thanks,
    Andy

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    8,964
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2521
    Likes (Received)
    5716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    I have an email in to American Rotary, but figured I'd ask for opinions here too.

    Going to look at a used American Rotary converter tomorrow. According to the tag, the panel is good for 20hp max start and 60hp total load, but the generator is 15KW/50 amps. It seems to me that the generator would be a bit undersized for the panel ratings, but I am far from an expert. What say you all?

    Full specs:
    Panel (model PCBR-WS-20-WM):
    HP: 20
    KVa: 19.8
    Volts in/out: 240/240
    Hz: 60
    FLA (3 PHASE): 54
    FLA (1 PHASE): 93.4
    Max total load (HP/kVa): 60/59.4
    Max single load (HP/kVa): 20/19.8
    Min single load: N/A
    Largest motor start (HP): 20*
    *based on light load

    Generator:
    HP: 15kW
    Voltage: 230/460
    Amps: 50/25
    RPM: 1800

    I'm hoping to use this to run several motors in my shop, ranging from 2hp to a 10hp (28 FLA) that's powering my American Pacemaker lathe. It's a one man, light use shop.

    Thanks,
    Andy
    I run my whole shop off an A R 20, been flawless for years now. Whole shop means what... 15HP L&S powerturn, 7.5HP LeBlond Regal, 10HP Miltronics ML20, 5 HP Holbrook C13, 3 Mills, 3 Band saws. I run 2-3 machines at a time regularly.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Posts
    440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    72

    Default

    I’m about to purchase an ad30 and the guy said that was minimum for 15hp spindle on a cnc. Supposed to be up to 30hp total.

    Now does anybody have any words about American rotary? They seem like they have a good support and they gave me a very good price on the converter. Free shipping aswell.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    8,964
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2521
    Likes (Received)
    5716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post
    I’m about to purchase an ad30 and the guy said that was minimum for 15hp spindle on a cnc. Supposed to be up to 30hp total.

    Now does anybody have any words about American rotary? They seem like they have a good support and they gave me a very good price on the converter. Free shipping aswell.
    Great company, I know 3 shops that have them, no issues at all.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pinckney Mi.
    Posts
    3,045
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4716
    Likes (Received)
    799

    Default

    I have 2 A.R.s running in my shop,never a issue here over ten yrs old,
    not even 1 issue.
    good luck
    Gw

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Posts
    3,948
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    371

    Default

    Thanks guys. They do seem to have a good reputation, and have a lot of recognition in the phase converter world.

    My concern with this particular unit is that the generator seems a bit undersized for the ratings on the panel. The generator is a true Baldor "induction generator" with no shaft, not just a random 3 phase motor... but because it's a used unit, it's possible that the two pieces were not sold together/matched appropriately.

    Andy

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    2,037
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1872
    Likes (Received)
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    Thanks guys. They do seem to have a good reputation, and have a lot of recognition in the phase converter world.

    My concern with this particular unit is that the generator seems a bit undersized for the ratings on the panel. The generator is a true Baldor "induction generator" with no shaft, not just a random 3 phase motor... but because it's a used unit, it's possible that the two pieces were not sold together/matched appropriately.

    Andy
    A quick phone call to American Rotary will answer your question.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Posts
    3,948
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    A quick phone call to American Rotary will answer your question.
    I have an email in to them.

    Andy

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Posts
    440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    I have an email in to them.

    Andy
    If you just give them a call it should be real easy. So far their service is impressively good.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Posts
    3,948
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    371

    Default

    I just got off off work and gave them a call. They had me email photos of the data plates and said that they would check into it. I agree, impressive service.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    I have a 15HP rated AR unit in my shop for 8 years now and it is a great trouble free unit. Fine company to deal with and they give great support.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Posts
    440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    72

    Default

    Haven’t received it yet but I ordered on Monday night and fedex called me on Wednesday for delivery on Today.That was fast. I actually had to have them come Monday. So far service has been great. Going to have to purchase a lot of wiring and stuff to get it going though.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Brookshire,Texas USA
    Posts
    368
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    39
    Likes (Received)
    114

    Default

    I called on a Sunday morning at 6:00 AM and was shocked that someone answered the phone, had an older model that didn’t match up with the information on the internet, walked me thru it with no problems. Customer service was OUTSTANDING
    If I ever need another item my ONLY choice would be them,period.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
2