What's new
What's new

Good capacitor brand non asian

jabberwoki

Cast Iron
I picked up a 30 hp converter and I`d like to replace the dodgy capacitors with new ones.
I need 10 x 270-324 mfd 220-250 vac and 12 50mfd 440/370 vac.
At least that's what it has in it now.
Some are blown some are too tall ( very close to the lid of the box) and made in china .

I picked up a 30 hp converter and I`d like to replace the dodgy capacitors with new ones.
I need 10 x 270-324 mfd 220-250 vac and 12 50mfd 440/370 vac.
At least that's what it has in it now.
Some are blown some are too tall ( very close to the lid of the box) and made in china .

I get US-Made ones from an online to-the-trade HVAC wholesaler, Gulf Coast, where air-con MATTERS.

But before you do a search...

That Bill of Materials sounds home-made. Bigtime.

If it were mine, I'd start-over with one of the several schematics in PM's "sticky", this forum.

- Idler motor size sets the start and run capacitor need.

THEN I'd seek to source an almost certainly lower-count of more appropriate capacitors.

At only 30 HP? My guess is it will be about HALF the cost of duplicating what you have NOW.

I sure wish I understood more about these for sure.

No need to "wish". JFDI.

They aren't complicated. Just not sumthin' you had to know about ... until now.

You already learnt to read and use a 'puter, didn't you?

You can distinguish between a motorsickle and a John Deer tractor, yah?

:)

Check the PM stickies, this forum.

- The "RPC" concept is dirt-simple.
- Starting options are many.
- The capacitor sizing math is "fuzzy", as-in close is good enough, and they don't REALLY even have to be there at all.

After that? It's sorta like:

"Here's how I fix meself a decent meal that suits my needs."

Here, buy this stuff from Grainger. They need your dollars because their stock price is only about $315 per share.

5 or more years ago the capacitors in the picture would have a GE label. Now they all look like Dayton, which is ChiComm stuff.
If you replace black plastic case start capacitors with the metal case capacitors I doubt you would ever have a capacitor problem again.
The fact that it takes more metal type capacitors for the equivalent value in black types will require a little more cabinet space.

capacitor products - Grainger Industrial Supply

You must get good capacitors, or as Yoda would say, I will help you not.

Last edited:

Back