Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hooked up a brand new Thermal 60i plasma cutter to my rotary today.. The 3 phase only plasma works perfect off of the 15 hp Rotary. If fact it works just like my single phase model of the same thing.. You don't get anymore electronic stuff then these new digital plasma cutters. Cut one inch steel to test arc length and amp draw.. Was pulling 30 amps on the wild leg sometimes with zero faults. The Croman box, and the Taiwan motor turns out to be the best $300.00 I have spent in my shop..

Amazon was blowing out the Thermal Dynamics cutters again, and picked up a cutter without torch for $397.00 after rebate.. Already scored a deal on a few single phase units. Got my Mill in a trade for one.. The 3 phase unit is staying in my shop,so I could care less about single phase power on that one..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pict0002.jpg   pict0003.jpg   pict0006.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have another question on this one guys.

When choosing a idler- what NEMA rotor type is optimal?

I was reading this thread in which B, C and D are noted:

Picking Rotary Phase Converter Size - How big do you really?

In particular post #24

But what about Nema type A?
    I am looking at two similar motors- a A and a B.
    Significant difference for this application?
    I understand that this will work with most anything but I can also buy most any type so would prefer to buy the one best suited for task.
    I am looking at fairly new ‘ high efficiency’ types.

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tr,

Im just going to throw this out... chits and giggles.
    Myself, I had invested a bit in quality VFDs before making the jump to an ADX40 for my CNC machines.

I decided to keep my investments, with the thought of reducing inrush current that might negatively effect my CNC equipment.
    I am running 2 Fadal 4020s straight off the ADX, a 5hp Quincy compressor, bridgeport, and 618 surface grinder on VFDs congruently.
    I have lots more gear, but I have to be picky of how and when I run it.
    Restricted by the ADX40, but feel if I were without the VFDs, I'd be even more limited.

Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Doozer on a point, they (American Rotary PC) are a little noisy (but what the F yo it is a motor)
    I run 5 HP on my mill and 15 HP on my nardini lathe. Never had a problem in 5 years, Am Rotary was great Co. to deal with when I purchased my units. Excellent customer service & good documentation.
    I am going to replace the RPC on my mill, for no reason other than convenience as far changing speed etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^I leave my RPC's (2) on the whole time I am working.

Unrelated to RPC, with drives they need an enclosure protect people and objects from exposed live parts. In addition, they need cooling. Do you mount them in large NEMA 12 enclosures for protection?

Tom