What's new
What's new

Haas-Kemp conversion on Linde VI-253

tomjelly

Stainless
I've got a pair of Linde VI-253 3 phase welders wired for 230v & running well on 3 phase, thought I'd try a single phase conversion and wondering if someone can check to see if this would work, and suggest cap values (spec is 29A at 230v) Here is the original schematic, simplified drawing and proposed modification, any suggestions welcome as I only know enough to get myself in trouble...:
20160603_133828.jpg20160603_133848.jpg

well I accidentally just deleted my original post, don't know why that happens anytime I try to edit from my phone.

I'm not going to comment on the tap connections, as I'm not proficient enough with 3 phase to completely understand the Delta vs Wye voltages and their respective series or parallel winding connections.

The coils on the proposed drawing are in the same polarity, and will fight each other though. One of the outer coils needs to be reversed on the L1/L2 connections to get the correct flow of Flux through the core, I believe.

Dave explains the core flow in the original cp200 write up, and in the CP200 or CP250 thread, or both he explains the different Wye vs Delta primary connections. might help to read through both of those, if you haven't.

Thanks, I found a nice writeup that I had saved a long time ago that covered the cp200 conversion, looks like as you say the last coil needs to be wired in reverse see photo revision 1 below- BUT in the drawings I have of that cp200 conversion although he is running it on 240 (as I will also) he's got 2/3,5/6, and 8/9 jumpered and jumpers removed on 1/2,3/4,x/5,6/7,y/8,9/z which would normally be how my machine is jumpered for 460. So, then is revision 2 how I should be wired for 230? Thanks for the help!

20160607_223309.jpg20160607_224258.jpg

20160607_224912 - Copy.jpg

It appears to me that the primary is Delta, The CP250 is a delta primary and in that write up, I believe the tap jumpers were for 230V. like I said I'm no authority, so don't take my interpretation as anything more than that.

Looks like my rev 1 drawing above will work for 230v looking at that "after" schematic. I'm tied up now but will give it a shot in a week or so.
thanks
tom

it's KAMP...

Hee hee... KAMP... not Kemp... not Camp...

and please note... the CP-250TS is NOT the same... or in any way similar to the CP-200 and CP-300... and earlier this week, I was enlightened to the presence of a CP-300E, which is also totally different from the CP-300...

Okay, the original configuration IS delta. To make this one work, you'll need to do it like 'new 1 phase revision 1... your coil voltage connections are correct, and it looks like the phasing is appropriate.

120uf seems a bit on the high side for first try... try lower... down in the 60uf range, and work your way up.

The thing to keep in mind when trying a conversion that nobody else has documented, is that you're blazing a new trail... and that it may have an entirely different magnetic characteristic for the coils... it may take more or less capacitance, and they MAY have wrapped the windings on the coil such that the phasing is actually 'backwards' somewhere... in 3-phase, the winding direction of a coil is totally irrelevant... but in OUR case, it is somewhat critical for the two outside coils.

Looks like my rev 1 drawing above will work for 230v looking at that "after" schematic. I'm tied up now but will give it a shot in a week or so.
thanks
tom

Kamp- got it. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try when it cools down around here....
t

I intended to, but someone came and bought them before I had a chance. Looks like it would work though...
t

Finished up the conversion tonight, and it works a treat.

I'll post photos and schematics once I get them sorted. Only changes from your rev 2 schematic was using 100uF of caps, and wiring the transformer coils in parallel instead of series since I was running off 240V instead of 480V. Welded at about 150amps output with a wire feed, was pulling about 27ish amps out of the wall, seemed to weld pretty good on the crappy flux core wire we dug up to test with.

Thanks for the tips, it was a big help, and saved my friend big time from needing to get a RPC.

Good to hear it's working, please do post the 240 schematic you came up with as there are lots of those machines to be saved from scrap if they can be run on 230/1.

Finished up the conversion tonight, and it works a treat.

I'll post photos and schematics once I get them sorted. Only changes from your rev 2 schematic was using 100uF of caps, and wiring the transformer coils in parallel instead of series since I was running off 240V instead of 480V. Welded at about 150amps output with a wire feed, was pulling about 27ish amps out of the wall, seemed to weld pretty good on the crappy flux core wire we dug up to test with.

Thanks for the tips, it was a big help, and saved my friend big time from needing to get a RPC.

Next test is solid wire short arc, please post some test results.

Back