What's new
What's new

have a few caps left over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some maybe bad but I bet there are quite a few that are good, and if you use them below the rated voltage they would give good service...and they could be handy for testing out what you need for a homemade rfc...as log as there are no pcb filled ones go for it...Phil

Some maybe bad but I bet there are quite a few that are good, and if you use them below the rated voltage they would give good service...and they could be handy for testing out what you need for a homemade rfc...as log as there are no pcb filled ones go for it...Phil

and how would you be sure no PCBs? these are not just junk, but possible toxic waste. I'd pass!!!

Well the newer ones will say non-pcb, anything 1960-2000 run from, you can go to the mfg web site for info on some....dont get caught with the bad ones disposal is costly...Phil

Well the newer ones will say non-pcb, anything 1960-2000 run from, you can go to the mfg web site for info on some....dont get caught with the bad ones disposal is costly...Phil

yep, just as I said, old electrolytics are worse than junk. P.S. I am sure I opened up some PCB ones back in the 70's myself...!

yep, just as I said, old electrolytics are worse than junk. P.S. I am sure I opened up some PCB ones back in the 70's myself...!

back in the early 70's i was in a radio club in high school and there was this big oil filled cap arox 16" x 12" x 4" they use to charge it up and short it out with a loud crack at the top of the can it look like it had been cut open and soldered back together i ask the instructor about it his reply was ya from all the times it had been discharged the wire going to the terminal post burned or opened up so one of his students cut it opened it and repaired it yes and there more then likely pcb's involved like the old greek in know likes to say we know every thing and we know nothing look at ddt this is all you need to know if it works its bad

From the look of those, there are no electrolytic in the lot. They all look like metal can oil-filled to me, unless I missed seeing one.

Yes, PCB is an issue. You do not want the ones that have that in them. And many of those look like they may no longer have their labels, so you won't know.

Questionable stuff.....

I think I will close this shortly unless the OP has anything more to say about what he has in a day or so.

like the racer's say run what you got

Clean them up and get them out of the weather. Turn them upside down for some time. Any leakage? I would doubt it. But any serious rust damage make a cap not good
and should be thrown out. After weeding out the badies put some neat printed labels on them.

Would like to see a study on how many amateur radio enthusiasts where harmed by old oil filled capacitors.

From the look of those, there are no electrolytic in the lot. They all look like metal can oil-filled to me, unless I missed seeing one.

Yes, PCB is an issue. You do not want the ones that have that in them. And many of those look like they may no longer have their labels, so you won't know.

Questionable stuff.....

I think I will close this shortly unless the OP has anything more to say about what he has in a day or so.

the ones with out labels are ink stamped that's why there marked on with a marker

Clean them up and get them out of the weather. Turn them upside down for some time. Any leakage? I would doubt it. But any serious rust damage make a cap not good
and should be thrown out. After weeding out the badies put some neat printed labels on them.

Would like to see a study on how many amateur radio enthusiasts where harmed by old oil filled capacitors.

outstanding reply ya who is going to start tearing in to there 10 ee omy god there may be some pcb's in here like asbestos just leave it alone if it works but a lot of the folks on here are a funny lot they think there walking on water more like a lake of manure

outstanding reply ya who is going to start tearing in to there 10 ee omy god there may be some pcb's in here like asbestos just leave it alone if it works but a lot of the folks on here are a funny lot they think there walking on water more like a lake of manure

You are kinda asking for it.

The issue with PCBs is more that they are defined as Hazmat, and disposal of Hazmat is regulated. There are penalties for improper disposal.

If good, they may work for a long time and harm nobody.

They also may pop open in a week or two when they have voltage on them. Old capacitors are known to do that on occasion. That would make a hazmat contaminated area, which you are then liable for cleaning up properly, and again, penalties for doing it improperly.

"Properly" will likely include hauling away whatever equipment they were used in, because it is contaminated.

We have not seen a statement that all of these are OEM marked as "no pcbs".

It's just sensible not to borrow trouble.

You have been told.

It's up to you......You know, that "personal responsibility" deal that so many talk about.

Only the owner can decide what to keep. He knows the history of them.

Standing orders given to Rambo from Col. Troutman:

When in doubt, kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back