What's new
What's new

hello i need recommendations for rotary phase converter and pony moter selection

Ditch buggy

Plastic
Hello first time poster
I have a Moore jig borer no.3 and only have signal phase power, so i think i need a rotary phase converter set up? i have several different (pony) moter options for the converter and i was hoping to only buy the rotary phase converter panel.

Where to buy a good reliable rotary phase converter panel i'm thinking 10hp. (yes bigger than i need but may add another machine later)

which pony moter to use i have a few choices = 10hp GE MODEL 5KS215AC205 1750 RPM
OR 10HP GE MODEL 5KS256AL305 1175 RPM
Some general info= shop power signal phase 220, 200 amp 40 breaker panel only using 3 breakers in it so far fairly new shop

new to me Moore jig borer is 220 or 440 3 phase 50 feet from the panel as crow fly's

wire size?

where to put everything? close to the machine, close to panel?

any other things i should consider adding, voltage monitor or?

basic wiring skills

Hello first time poster
I have a Moore jig borer no.3 and only have signal phase power, so i think i need a rotary phase converter set up? i have several different (pony) moter options for the converter and i was hoping to only buy the rotary phase converter panel.

Where to buy a good reliable rotary phase converter panel i'm thinking 10hp. (yes bigger than i need but may add another machine later)

which pony moter to use i have a few choices = 10hp GE MODEL 5KS215AC205 1750 RPM
OR 10HP GE MODEL 5KS256AL305 1175 RPM
Some general info= shop power signal phase 220, 200 amp 40 breaker panel only using 3 breakers in it so far fairly new shop

new to me Moore jig borer is 220 or 440 3 phase 50 feet from the panel as crow fly's

wire size?

where to put everything? close to the machine, close to panel?

any other things i should consider adding, voltage monitor or?

basic wiring skills

40Amps, for a 10HP, you dont have enough to run that, start up inrush can be 45-75A and will trip every time

10HP GE MODEL 5KS256AL305 1175 RPM

I have had better luck with 6 pole motors with 1200 RPM speeds.
They start with less inrush, and hold the output better than 4 or 2 pole pony motors.

This guy may still have the 3 HP with a nice pulley on it:

2 Monarch project lathes, 1964 10EE, 1944 12"CK

This may run the Moore by itself, rope start or spun up to speed with a belt from another small motor that the belt is removed before turning on the power.
If you need more power than that, add the 10 HP 1175 RPM after the 3 is up and running.

My own RPC is a Reliance Duty Master 3 HP 1.15 SF TEFC motor. My earlier systems I started the Pony with the run cap.
This motor needs too much capacitance than the run cap to start.
I use a time delay to operate a 30 Amp relay to connect the start capacitor.

One of my customers ran a bunch of large motors on VTL's and Horiz. boring mills.
It worked like this:
He had a 5 HP RPC attached to a chunk of 3 phase buss duct powering small machines.
Turned on the buss plug for the RPC.
Then started several smaller machines on his way to the old Pond lathe with a 30+ HP version of what I have linked to above.
Then walked back and turned off the other machines used as helper pony motors.
Now he was able to run the 50 HP on his large VTL along with other large 20+ hp machines.

One Busy day, with all the large machines running, the 75 KVA transformer on the pole outside powering his 600 Amp service, caught on fire. When the Power Company saw what he was doing inside, they forced him to go to 3 phase power along with a demand meter that more than doubled his electric bill.

The most important skill I learned from this customer was: "I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be able to do that"
All the Masters of Versatility I have met over the years have that exact skill!

Bill

Back