What's new
What's new

Help. 3 phase motor seems to be missing some leads....

dIREsTRAITS

Plastic
I want to build a phase converter to get 3 phase.
I bought this motor but it seems like there should
be 9 leads coming out but I there's only 5. Three are large ones, and two are smaller gauge leads. See pix.
I am new to this forum and machine tools in general.
Does anyone know how many leads this motor is supposed to
have? Any help is greatly appreciated.0123191158b.jpg0123191159b.jpg

I have run across this several times and it always costs me money. Someone rewound the motor and was too lazy to put all the leads back on it so that now it is wired for one voltage only. If you need to rewire it, take it to a motor shop and have them "tease out" the leads and put it back like it is supposed to be. Most of the time they can do this at a cost that is acceptable, but ask for a quote. Otherwise, sell it and buy another one with all its leads.

I have run across this several times and it always costs me money. Someone rewound the motor and was too lazy to put all the leads back on it so that now it is wired for one voltage only. If you need to rewire it, take it to a motor shop and have them "tease out" the leads and put it back like it is supposed to be. Most of the time they can do this at a cost that is acceptable, but ask for a quote. Otherwise, sell it and buy another one with all its leads.

Thanks a lot. I am glad I didn't waste any time opening that thing up only to find the wires aren't there.
Fortunately, the place I got it from has a lot of
motors and they are going to let me exchange it.
About an hour drive for me, I'll be out the gas money and time, but I consider myself lucky. Rookie mistake.

This time open the cover and check to make sure the leads are all there! You should also take an ohm meter and ohm the windings to make sure its not a toasted motor.

And while you are eyeballing it, make sure EVERY wire exiting the motor has its identifier tag - very commonly a metal crimp on "tag" with a clearly readable number. These are very often hiding under gobs of tape

The leads look original as hell, but I am not going to "assume" anything.
I gave a firm tug on each one and nothing came out. Whatever they did with the rest of the wires, they're not coming out easily.

In industry it is common when having a motor rewound, to just bring out 3 leads for the voltage needed.

The label on yours has been corrected by removing the now unused voltage.
If the nameplate is modified like yours (low voltage removed), I wouldn't even open the box.

Bill

Back