What's new
What's new

Clausing 5904 Mag Starter Issue

claybreaker 144

Plastic
I have a new to me Clausing 5904 2 HP 3 phase motor, the last owner never had it running because he didn't 3 phase power in his shop but he said it ran at the location he got it from. I am running a rotary phase converter that runs my milling machine. I have 3 wiring diagrams,one from a 5914 owners manual I downloaded on-line that doesn't show the magnetic starter and the drum switch has 6 terminals whereas there are 8 on the lathe, the second is from the cover of the Furnas Mag Starter and the third from the cover of the reverse-off-forward drum switch. I am using the wiring diagram from the drum switch cover. The only way the motor runs is if I manually close the contacts on the mag starter, once they are closed they stay closed and the motor run normally forward and reverse. There is no disconnect on this machine and when I unplug the contacts open, when I plug it in I have to manually close the starter contacts for the machine to run again.
Is there something wrong with my wiring or the the starter defective? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200330_135749.jpg
    IMG_20200330_135749.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200330_135725.jpg
    IMG_20200330_135725.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 40
  • scan0010.jpg
    scan0010.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 341
Sounds like your start button is either faulty or not connected.

Check that there's line voltage across it when the machine hasn't started yet, and that it disappears when you push it.

Check the drum switch interlock, too.

Sounds like your start button is either faulty or not connected.

Check that there's line voltage across it when the machine hasn't started yet, and that it disappears when you push it.

Check the drum switch interlock, too.

Don't know about the drum switch interlock?
There is no on-off switch on this machine or disconnect, but I will add one. The drum switch appears to function properly once the mag starter contacts are manually closed.

Well, there's your problem. The drawing has start and stop buttons, plus an interlock marked as going to the drum switch that locks out the start button. I assume this prevents you from closing the magswitch in 'stop'.

One of the purposes of a contactor/magswitch is to cut power to the machine if there's a power failure. This means the machine can't accidentally be left in the on state, and unexpectedly start back up when power is restored - you have to manually push the button.

Back