What's new
What's new

Help configuring Hitachi wj200-110lf

scuppasteve

Plastic
So i recently purchased a Minimax FS-41ES, its a jointer/planer for woodworking and hooked it up to a Hitachi wj200-110lf. I read about double sizing it, so it is wired to 60a 240V on terminals L1 and L3 with output to the tool on T1,T2,T3. I have proper voltage on the input terminals and the drive powers on, but i can't get it to output power. I don't really need the variable speed functions just the single to 3 phase features. So all i really want the drive to do is run.

I have set the following things in the menu

B037 to "00"
B031 to "10"
B012 to "17"
A003 to "60" - default
A004 to "60" - default

When i press Run, the green light next to run comes on but i get no voltage on the output.

Thanks

You should also set all the motor nameplate data like voltage, RPM, poles, power, and current, especially if the drive is oversized. Otherwise it will quite happily cook your motor if overloaded or run at slow speed.

Generally, you will want to set or at least be aware of every parameter listed in the quick start guide: https://www.hitachiacdrive.com/Hitachi-WJ200-Quick-Start-Guide.pdf

The drive is likely outputting 0Hz as you have not specified a speed to run at. You will want to set F001 if you haven't adjusted A001.

You're aware that you need to remove (or at least not operate with the drive running) any contactors or switches between the drive and the motor? The drive needs to handle starting and stopping on its own; it can't handle having a motor dropped on it.

So if i need to use electronics in that machine a VFD will not work at all? It has to be wired directly to the motor? Why can the VFD just not be set to run at 60HZ, wouldnt that give me a constant output from the drive of 220-240VAC 3phase 60hz?

It could but the drive can't output more than about 1.5x rated constant-torque current. 1.5x47A = ~70A. A typical three phase motor has a starting current of ~6-8x rated current, so if your motor has a rated current of more than 10A, the drive is almost certainly just going to fault. If you want to DOL it, you need a phase converter sized for starting current which is $$$$.

If you use the drive to ramp the motor up, the current is used much more efficiently because it starts it at ~5Hz with minimal slip.

Run all the electronic controls from the single phase input and replace the contactor with the drive. If there's a reversing contactor, replace both contactors with the drive and use forward/reverse inputs.

Back