What's new
What's new

Teco L510 won't start back up after a power failure

crazydane

Plastic
I have a L510 that is used to control an exhaust fan in my shop. I have crypto miners that generate a lot of heat, so the fan runs 24/7 to exhaust the hot air. Since I don't need to run the fan at 100% all the time, typically 40Hz or 2/3 speed will suffice, but when it gets above 90 degrees, it needs to run at 100% or 60Hz. My fan uses a lot less power at 66% speed than at 100%. Hence my reason for choosing a 3 phase motor and fan combo, so that I can keep power consumption low.

Anyway, my issue is that after a power loss, the fan does not start back up and the shop and the miners in it get really hot. I don't loose power often, but if I do and I'm not home, I'm afraid what might happen...

I have a jumper between COM and S1 (external start), and I have the following relevant parameters:

00-02 Main Run Source Selection - 1: External Run/Stop Control
07-00 Momentary Power Loss and Restart - 1: Momentary power loss and restart enable
07-04 Direct Running After Power Up - 0: Enable Direct run on power up

I can write the above config to the L510 (I have the serial to USB cable to do my programming using the l510-DriveLink utility), but I have to remove the jumper between COM and S1 for the write to be successful. If I don't I get a StP2 error.

So after writing the above to the L510, and inserting my jumper between COM and S1, the fan motor starts up. But if I turn the breaker off and back on to simulate a power outage, the fan does not come back on. If I then connect to the L510 and read the settings, parameter 00-02 Main Run Source Selection has reset itself from 1 (External Run/Stop Control) to 2 (Communication).

Any idea what I'm doing wrong and why, after a successful write, the L510 resets that parameter from 1 to 2 after power cycling?

A more complete list of my parameters are as follows:

00-02 Main Run Source Selection - 1: External Run/Stop Control
00-03 Alternate Run Source Selection - 2: Communication
00-05 Main Frequency Source Selection - 5: Communication Setting Frequency
00-06 Alternative Frequency Source Selection - 0: Keypad
00-07 Main and Alternative Frequency Command modes - 1: Main + Alternative Frequency
07-00 Momentary Power Loss and Restart - 1: Momentary power loss and restart enable
07-04 Direct Running After Power Up - 0: Enable Direct run on power up

My goal is to be able to do the following:

1. Fan motor resume after power failure. Preferably at the same frequency as before the outage, but 60Hz is fine
2. Be able to remotely adjust the frequency via the serial interface (primary control)
3. Be able to adjust the frequency from the local keypad (secondary control)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
What are your 03-00 (S1 config) and 00-04 (external operation modes) set to? With the following config, I'm getting the behavior you're looking for:

00-02 = 1
00-04 = 0
03-00 = 0
07-04 = 0

07-00 can go either way and it still works -- I haven't played too much with it. I think it may be just for the edge case of brownouts where the VFD isn't getting enough input power to run the load, but still has enough to keep the CPU running. I need to dig into it more.

If it's still giving you trouble, could you provide a full dump of your config? DriveLink should allow you to save it as an LF5 file.

Back