What's new
What's new

Help required powering Drill Press (3 phase)

DwP666

Plastic
Hi All

New to this forum but really need some help.
Years ago I purchased a second hand drill press with a 3 phase motor attached. I've explored so many avenues to get this press running but no one seems to be able or is interested in helping me sort this out. All I want is to get this drill press running in my shop.
Obviously, I only have single phase power available in my garage/shop/home.
I'm open to all positive information and feedback with regards to this.
I've attached the compliance plate from the motor in question. I'm very open to having to purchase a VFD but I need detailed information to the specs required to buy the exact VFD I'll need to run this motor. I won't mind spending some cash on the VFD but also don't want to waste my time and money buying the wrong unit or burning out same if I buy the wrong VFD.
I live in Australia, we run on 240V power in most homes. Would be interested in buying the VFD from e-bay but am also open to buying from other sources if you all think it to be worthwhile.

Look forward to any contributions.
Thanks for your time and efforts.
Dave P20180112_111947.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dave, To start with that motor most probably is internally connected delta, that means the coils are 415v. So there is a VFD that inputs 240v and outputs 415v 3 phase. I don't know anything other that that about these VFD's but expensive. So to use a transformer and then a phase converter is a lot of work, when to replace the motor with a single phase 240v may be the simplest thing.
Of course I may be wrong and it might have 240v coils and internally or externally connected in Star. So then just to use a 240v VFD would be OK.

Jim

So I can still get in touch with the guy who sold the unit to me. Your suggesting I need to know if the configuration is in star or delta. In my case, delta is bad and star would be preferred. The trouble with replacing unit for single phase motor, is finding a motor with 19mm diameter and with a 90mm length for the pulley.
And moreover, do I need a VFD that specifically outputs to 415v if delta is the only option? If star, then what specifics should I be looking at?
Delta : 240V Single Phase to 415V 3 phase VFD, 1.5 kW (2 HP) High quality with warranty | eBay
Star : ??? which units should I shoot for?

Last edited:
By the by, the guy wouldn't sell/give this unit to me but he built this to get the motor to run. He did let take photos of it though.
Please feel free to pass these photos to all that could help others in this position, to procure all these necessary units that someone could build a similar unit.20180110_112239.jpg20180110_112221.jpg20180110_112217.jpg20180110_112212.jpg
This unit worked like a dream. I tracked one component down on e-bay but the rest eludes me (I'm a nurse and want to be woodworker), I don't profess to be an electrician or know the first about it...but I respect electricity all the same.

Hi Dave,
Some motors like yours when they are manufactured have their coils designed to operate from 415v or 240v. If they are 240v coils then they can be connected in Star so they would operate from 415v but if they were connected in Delta it would operate from 240v 3 phase supply. Now if the coils were wound for 415v, this means the windings must be connected in Delta. These connections can be either inside the motor or in the motor terminal box. Quite often when the motor rating plate only says 415v it is internally connected Delta. You would have to remove the motors bell ends to examine the stator winding ends to be conclusive.
I am sorry for such a long explanation but this is probably why you have explored so many avenues and no one seems to be able to help you.

Jim

I will carefully take the motor apart tomorrow and take photos as appropriate. That's after going to ask the previous owner about said configuration.
Thanks for all your input thus far.

I'll post some photos about the drill press soon and that will explain why I bought it in the first place. It's a beauty.

Dave

Last edited:
Sounds great. Thanks for your efforts. I would have sourced a single phase motor but because of the age of the machine, I'm having trouble with finding the right motor with enough HP plus dimensions regarding the 19mm shaft diameter and 90mm shaft length needed to fit the pully.

One alternative, there are VFDs and static converters that will step up the voltage from single phase 240 to 415V 3 phase sold through a UK site. These days they are sold through eBay, but you can contact the site "Drivers Direct Digital Phase Converters". The down side is the inverters are quite expensive. You could email them to see what they have,

It would be cheaper to step up the voltage with a single phase transformer and then use a 1 Hp 3 phase 400+V VFD if the motor cannot be rewired for a lower voltage.

Drives Direct Inverters LTD | eBay Shops
Drives Direct - Digital Phase Converters - Our Products
Error page | eBay
TRANSWAVE Static Converter STC1.1HD 1.5hp/1.1kW Single to 3-phase 240v to 415v | eBay

@ Drroaster,

Should we PM the finer details about my address? So this will run the motor? If so that's great news. Need rough cost of how much you want for the unit and shipping to Newcastle, NSW, Australia, Postcode (Zip) 2287.

Back