What's new
What's new

Help in understanding " phase shift " on Hass/Kamp CP200 conversion

jzr75601

Plastic
Hello All
I'm in hopes some one might be able to help me understand the concept of phase shift angles both 90 degrees and 180 degrees out of phase as they relate to the Hass/Kamp CP200 single phase conversion and maybe break it down and explain in very simple layman terms?
I have all the wave form diagrams and illustrations that I believe Dave Kamp drew up in regards to the conversion, but I just can't get a grasp on the concept and the wave form illustration, especially since there are three wave forms to follow.
I have successfully completed the conversion on my CP200 and it works great, but I would really like understanding the theory behind what I did.
Thanks to all in advance.

It's not that complicated.

Draw yourself the classic digital-type number 8

It looks like a three-rung ladder, right?

The top rung has a coil wrapped around it. Call it "A".

Middle rung has B

Bottom rung has C.

When in standard three phase, you have THREE hot wires, all with AC sine waves, and they're running at 120 degree intervals. First A is high positive, then B is high positive, then C is high positive, etc.

120 degrees, because a circle is 360 degrees, divide 360 by 3, you get 120 degree intervals.

That means, when the A coil energizes, magnetic field builds in one direction, let's say to the RIGHT... then the B coil, then the C coil... but realize, while the A coil is building in ONE direction, the B coil is crossing Zero, and the C coil is in a REVERSED FLOW state.

The magnetic flow is travelling in a figure-8 pattern, as if you were to draw a number 8 with a pen, without lifting the tip from the paper.

When you do the conversion, you're not using 3 phases in at 120 degrees. You're using TWO, at 180 degrees. Top pushes left, while bottom pushes RIGHT. If the center coil didn't exist, you'd just have alternating flux, going in a circle to the right, then left.

This would work fine at 2/3rd's output, EXCEPT for the fact that the presence of that center coil, doing nothing, generates a big huge eddy in magnetic flow... it's like stuffing a feather pillow inside a guitar.

When you add some series capacitance to EACH leg of the center coil, it applies delay... phase shift... to electric current flowing through the coil. Between THAT capacitance, and the coil's reactance, AND the magnetic flux that is TRYING to flow, the eddies subside, and magnetic flow becomes coherent, in what is essentially a figure-8 pattern. At that point, the center phase becomes a viable, and working part of the primary circuit.

It is, however, working in a state of 'quadrature'... FOUR stages of cycle, rather than three, so the magnetic circulation is occurring at is essentially 80hz, rather than 60hz... and it is for this fact that when you do the basic math as indicated in the text, that the capacitance estimation is a little bit off. It can't really be made precise, because the inductive capacities of the coils and core can't be predicted in any simplistic way, but a feller can just tack on, or remove a few caps, and test for best results.

Back