Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    In all that time, running production, I never spun a chuck off. People who do should learn to tighten them properly.
    You probably didn't swap 3-J for 4-J for faceplate for dog-driver plate, round we go again 2 to 5 times a day, five days a week, as JR HS // HS shop classes operate, either.

Last threaded lathe spindle I'll ever have to tolerate didn't have the 4-J off it five times in fifty years, practically to the month. Mind - only other thing it owned was a dog-driver plate, and I usually drove dog off a chuck jaw!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shop class is one thing.... with kids TRYING TO throw off chucks......

Actual use, by someone who actually wants to get something done, well, NO. Despite all the hype and bloviating of warnings on home shop sites, it takes a good bit of a shock to spin off a chuck, and plug reversing a small motor dies not do it.... Just not enough torque, apparently. The damn things have to be forced to unscrew, if they have had any sizeable work tuned while chucked in them.

MUCH more likely to toss a chuck using a spindle brake, and even that is hard if the thing has been driven on by actually turning a part or two. Any interrupted cuts, and it's definitely on there tight. I have much more experience of threaded spindles than I would like to have, and the home shop theorists etc are wigging out about stuff that they dream up ....

It's actually turning something in reverse that gets a person in trouble with . threaded chuck mounts. I've never had a plug reverse do that on an SB9 class machine.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Nope. At least not in my shop, it never has. Rotary converter, plug reversing, 2inch8 threaded spindle.

Ummmmm...... that was THREADING A 2" 8 TPI THREAD ON A PIECE OF STOCK..... CUTTING A THREAD not using a 2" threaded spindle. Tiny tad of difference there.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JST View Post
    Shop class is one thing.... with kids TRYING TO throw off chucks......
    The more important part you missed is direct, contactor-reversed, no braking, no delay, nothing "soft" about it honest 3/4 HP UTILITY MAINS 3-Phase.

The SB belts that won't transmit even 2/3 HP?

Sorry, they snapped that 3/4 HP "instant" reversal through their digestive track with but a single sharp "chirp" as distinctive as a pistol shot, and not a great deal quieter.

All it took for Dave or me to lock eyes on whom it was as had just done the dirty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    The more important part you missed is direct, contactor-reversed, no braking, no delay, nothing "soft" about it honest 3/4 HP UTILITY MAINS 3-Phase.

And, the OP does not HAVE utility 3 phase.... you made a big point of that, perhaps you have already forgotten?

If you WANT to make the thing throw a chuck , I;d bet on being able to do it. And you can count on those kids doing that.

if you USE the machine, instead of playing with it, (of course you need to HAVE one first) you'd quickly find that it just does not work that easily. And, there is no obligation to plug reverse just because you have/use 3 phase.

Yes, the Logan also "chirps" the belt on a plug reverse. That belt chirp is due to the belt SLIPPING, by the way.

But it will not throw a 6" chuck if halfway reasonably screwed on, even before any actual USE. that's the difference between theory and practice. I USE such a machine, and I DO plug reverse it. Likewise 9100... with a bigger machine, better belt system and more power.

Let's keep this to a reasonable degree of helpfulness here with a minimum of "noise.. We're pretty much DONE with this. If the OP has more questions, that's fine, but otherwise this is DONE....