What's new
What's new

Help with Wiring Rotary Phase Converter

Cephalon

Plastic
Hello, I purchased a used rotary phase converter but I am not sure which set of wires is T and which ones are L. The wiring diagram is attached. It's a little fuzzy when the wires go into the cabinet on the motor where the capacitors are (ie what happens from the caps to the idler motor). For example, I am not sure what the blue wire is connected to at the caps and motor. However, I haven't disconnected anything. Looking at the diagram you will see "NOTE 1". On that side of the fused switch there were two wires connected to the black and blue wires but only one connected to the red wire. One each of the black and blue wires went down into the idler motor and capacitors. The other one each of the black and blue wires were louse and had electrical tape over their ends (applied by whoever removed it from service). At NOTE 2 in the diagram there are two each wires coming from each terminal on the fused switch (two black, two blue, and two red). None of those wires go anywhere. SO WHAT I DID: I applied 110V to NOTE 1 black and 110V to NOTE 1 blue. I did nothing with the neutral from my source (my breaker box). As soon as I turn the breakers on at my source the idler motor starts spinning. If I check voltage at NOTE 2 Black and Blue I get 220V, same with Blue and Red, and Black and Red. BUT, the manual switch (ie Fused Switch (3 Pole)) in my diagram does not shut off idler motor (which makes sense based on the wiring diagram). The only way to shut off the idler motor is to trip the breaker at my source. This seems unusual, though I can always insert another switch ahead of the Fused Switch. But, it makes me wonder if I am wiring it wrong (to T instead of L??). Of course the Fused Switch does shut off power to the NOTE 2 Black, Red, and Blue wires. SO... is this correctly wired, and the NOTE 2 Black, Red, and Blue wires are my 3-Phase power? Hopefully my questions make sense. If not let me know and I will try to explain better. I am new to this so thank you for any assistance.

Attachments

• 20191011_131537.jpg
    20191011_131537.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 147
Maybe a simpler way to ask: Which is "T" and which is "L" (NOTE 1 or NOTE 2)??

Looking at the diagram (this is a diagram I made of the existing wiring as I received it): Which is "T" and which is "L" (NOTE 1 or NOTE 2)??

First a note for electrical terms. Since you correctly did not use the neutral you did not apply 120 volts to anything. Hopefully you applied 240 Volts to the RPC (check the voltage between the two wires that you used).

If you drew the disconnect switch as it actually is, the wires are on the incorrect side. The swinging contact side should go to the idler motor. The side with out the moving contacts should be connected to the incoming power. Then with the power connected as you have it to 'note 1' and the idler connected to 'note 2' the 3 pole switch will shut down the RPC.

Look at some of the examples in the sticky section.

Bill

The labels for L1, L2 are for the AC line side.
The T1, T2, T3 are for the target machine motor.

The RPC will pass L1, L2 to T1, T2. The T3 comes from your idler.

This is the most common way to wire an rpc. 240 line will go where your note 1 is. Generaly, its the black and red, with blue being the generated leg. The only way to be sure is to look at how the idler motor is connected. 240 line will not be connected so the caps are across the lines. Caps go from one line to the generated leg in most basic designs. Power factor correction caps are the exception to this. The load goes at note 2. And yes, you have to go to the panel to turn off or on the rpc. Remote control is possible, but it adds complexity to the basic design. If you are a one man, one machine shop, this is fine. Go to the panel and start the convertor, go to the machine and start it, and you are running.

Back