What's new
What's new

Hobart Arc Master 500 Questions

elkvis

Plastic
There is a Hobart Arc Master 500 available for sale in my area for a good price, and I was considering picking it up. I got a copy of the manual, including schematics, from Hobart, and while it is a three-phase machine, it appears that it might run on single-phase power, if connected to the L1 and L2 inputs. Can any of you advise on this? I've included an excerpt from the manual, showing the AC input section of the machine.

Attachments

• ArcMaster500Input.jpg
    ArcMaster500Input.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 35
I use three-phase input VFD's with single-phase power, just L1 & L2 220VAC. The output capacity is reduced.
If you accept that the full output current will never be needed then fine. Anyway, if you did need full output then the machine is too small.

There is a Hobart Arc Master 500 available for sale in my area for a good price, and I was considering picking it up. I got a copy of the manual, including schematics, from Hobart, and while it is a three-phase machine, it appears that it might run on single-phase power, if connected to the L1 and L2 inputs. Can any of you advise on this? I've included an excerpt from the manual, showing the AC input section of the machine.

The picture came through rather small, but it's pretty clear that your three-phase machine is an inverting-type unit, converting to DC immediately inside the door. The transformer to the side is apparently for control power, actually two transformer primaries, and I'm fairly certain they're single-phase relevant only.

So my answer is YES. Ron's note about power limitation is important- all your incoming power is going in through TWO, rather than three leads, so you'll be overloading the diode bridge if you work it hard. Connect to the two feeding that small transformer. once connected right, it should be good...

Back