What's new
What's new

Honden / Crown Lathe Wiring

PancakeCritter

Plastic
Hello,

I recently acquired a 1984 Crown lathe I am attempting to revive. It seems to be similar to the Honden/Jet lathes of this era. Unfortunately some of the wiring to the magnetic contactors isn’t complete. Would anyone with a similar lathe be willing to upload a picture of their wiring box? I think some of the confusion might be due to it being wired for 220V and then later at 110V?

I noticed the contactor is rated for .75 kW at 110V, so are these two paired to deliver full 2HP to the motor? Also, I am uncertain which pole controls the coil. Is it 13/14?

(Sorry if this in the wrong section)

oJy7U8U.jpg

FOD3WYK.jpg

Thanks,
Alex

13/14 is probably an auxiliary contact, along with 15/16. The coil is probably the terminals on the top at the rear.

It's likely that you have one contactor for forward and one for reverse.

13/14 is probably an auxiliary contact, along with 15/16. The coil is probably the terminals on the top at the rear.

It's likely that you have one contactor for forward and one for reverse.

That was my first guess, one contactor per direction. But after seeing the contactor label rating of only 1 HP on 110V, with a 2 HP motor I began to question it. Probably explains where port "C" goes, to some direction sensor/switch. A is obviously the wall power, B is the motor, and D is the on/off control buttons.

I also initially thought the coil was the terminals at the top and bottom, traditionally, but saw a 110V wiring diagram that showed the motor only using 8 terminals total. Not to rule them out, just made me curious,

Back