What's new
What's new

How can I identify unmarked PSC motor leads?

nimi55

Plastic
Greetings
I got a Permanent split capacitor motor, has no label whatsoever, there are 5 wires + separate ground wire to case.
I understood resistance between wires can help figuring this, but don't know how to decode it, so would appreciate if someone explained how. This is what I found with the multimeter measuring resistance of the 5 wires to each other

green-brown 92 Ω
green-orange 140.1 Ω
green-blue 86.9 Ω
green-white 73.3 Ω
brown-orange 106.1 Ω
brown-blue 89 Ω
brown-white 75.3 Ω
orange-blue 44.8 Ω
orange-white 31 Ω
white-blue 14 Ω

Attachments

• .jpg
    .jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 124
Hi thanks Jim for that book! helped me figure out the leads with the matrix method showed there. Before you showed me the book I actually got it running on high speed but now I'm glad I understood more and am sure its wired right.
I figured out white is common, blue high speed main winding, orange high speed capacitor winding, and the two remaining green and brown low speed winding.
Got it running great on high speed, 3000rpm.
I wonder how it is supposed to run on low speed, I understood from the book that slow speed would use another smaller capacitor, but this motor has only one I got with it from the washing machine it came from. I am not sure but maybe because it has a capacitor for only the high speed, the low speed was used by first powering the high speed to get it to spin and then was switched to low speed winding, but don't know for sure. What do you think

Attachments

• IMG_0667[1].jpg
    IMG_0667[1].jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0668[1].jpg
    IMG_0668[1].jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 62

Back