What's new
What's new

How to connect remote switch

ronlyke

Cast Iron
I have a Teco drive, model JNEV-201-H1 , which I’m planning to use on my lathe. To avoid reaching over my lathe to access the controls, I want to mount a small box with a potentiometer for speed control, and a toggle switch for run / off function. I can see in the instructions that a pot is connected to terminals 10v, AIN, and COM (terminals 9, 10 & 11). This is also shown in a Youtube video by “Tubal Cain” aka MrPete222.

I can’t, however, figure out (in my electrical ignorance) how to connect a “run – stop” toggle switch. I can copy pages from the manual if nobody has one to refer to. I can’t figure out how to put a link in here, and I didn’t want to make this note a zillion pages long. I know this is a pretty common VFD. Can someone help?

Thanks,
Ron

Use page 28 of the manual (page 29 of the PDF) to decide how you want to wire your Run/Stop, then set parameter F06 accordingly. You also have to set parameter F04 to 001.

Pages 28 & 29 are error codes in my manual.
There is a diagram in the manual showing a switch marked FWD/REV connected to 24V, S1, S2, but that seems to be for a different model. Anyhow, that doesn’t give me a run/stop option, does it (unless it’s really a FWD/RUNSTOP/REV)?

I understand F4 & F6.
I just don't know which terminals to use.

Again, pardon my ignorance.

I am not sure if TECO have fixed the screw-up yet or not. But the last time I
bought a VFD from them, there was a significant problem sir:

Namely the information you need to figure out how to hook the switch up to the
drive, and the programming steps needed to configure the drive properly, was

NOT IN THE DAMN PAPER MANUAL AT ALL.

Yep, it was not there. It was ONLY in the CD-rom manual that came with the
drive. In the CD-rom manual they show the wiring for the sort of setup you want,
which is eactly the one I like to use.

Basically a center-off, single pole double throw toggle switch - so that center is
stop, one direction is forward, and the other is reverse. So check the manual that
comes in the cd-rom disk that came with the drive.

I see how to set the remote in F04 (I set up the pot with no trouble at all).
I just wish I could fine where they say, "Connect the black wire to terminal X and the white wire to terminal Y."
I'll keep looking.

I may have found it.
There's a wiring diagram which shows rev-o-fwd switch connected to fwd-rev-24v.
There's another figure showing the terminal block with 24v, S1, S2 with wire colors (but not marked fwd or rev)
I don't know why they couldn't use the same terms on both diagrams.
If I connect a center-off, single pole double throw toggle switch to these terminals, and they're not the correct ones, will I damage the VFD?

Did you get a chance to review page 28 of the link I sent? It shows where you would put the connections depending on the start/stop configuration you need. The diagram for the pot wiring is on page 5. Perhaps page 63 would be helpful to you as well.

If you don't require OSHA compliance you can wire it as Jim suggested using a switch similar to this one SPDT Submini Toggle Switch : Toggle Switches | RadioShack.com

As Jim mentioned you would wire the middle leg of the switch to the common (providing your setting on dipswitch SW1 is set to NPN), one side to S1 and the other side to S2 .

One of the connection setups is run/stop via one switch, fwd/rev via a second switch.

You want the other one that is fwd/off/rev via a single switch. I'll pull out the CD rom
from the drive tonight.

One 'feature' is that if you don't have the hardware (switches) hooked up before
you re-program the drive, it will fault out because it thinks you are trying to start it
up in a run configuration. It throws am error code then.

Yeah, I got the code, but I figured out how to avoid it. Apparently, even though the external switch works, the panel switch is not disabled. If it is running, I can stop it with the panel switch, but if I try to push "run" on the panel while the ext switch is on, I get the error.

If I get used to never touching the panel switch, it won't be a problem. After it's installed at the lathe, it will be out of reach---only the external switch & pot will be within reach, so no sweat.

Thanks again.

Back