What's new
What's new

How to run 3 phase industrial steam cleaner on 220V single phase?

Spud

Diamond
Industrial saturated steam cleaner (vapor steam I believe). Made in Italy

3 phase
480 volts
60 Hz
22 amps
18 kilowats

Not the same as below model but similar. Below Model is Euro spec version so it is 400v and 50 Hz
http://www.reasteamcleaning.com/docpublic/doc_eng/depliant-2015-S18E-v1.pdf

-
All I have is one 220 Volt single phase outlet that is used to power the washer or dryer.

So what kind of equipment do I need to be able to run this steam cleaner?

A VFD or do I need a rotary or digital phase converter?

-

Suppose I was to use a gas or diesel GenSet to provide the electrical requirements, what spec GenSet would I need ?

If there are no motors involved, you can rewire it for single phase use without any type of converter or genset.

If there are no motors involved, you can rewire it for single phase use without any type of converter or genset.

I think I rather just leave the internal eletrics as they are and use a phase converter or VFD to power it because I assume rewiring for single phase will change the performance of the machine? and or trip the breakers in the house?

18KVA is 75A @ 240V 1 phase

Way more than your dryer plug is capable of.

Get yourself a kerosene fired steam cleaner instead. Trying to run that at home is going to cost you more than it's worth.

SAF

18KVA is 75A @ 240V 1 phase

Way more than your dryer plug is capable of.

Get yourself a kerosene fired steam cleaner instead. Trying to run that at home is going to cost you more than it's worth.

SAF

I have a propane heated steam pressure washer but this one is a vapor steam cleaner; 2 different types of machines.

So even with a phase converter or VFD I can't run this machine from my 220V outlet?

Is it possible to run it but with reduced performance ; i.e. heat water to the same max temp but not heat as much water per hour.

-
So if I was to use a genset, what kind of specs do I need?

So even with a phase converter or VFD I can't run this machine from my 220V outlet?

No, the breaker supplying your dryer is what, 30amps?
To pull the amp requirements needed for your steam cleaner you need more than double the 30amp capacity you currently have.
If the wire size is to small for the amps being pulled through it, it will over heat from the resistance and possibly catch something on fire.

Would you consider having another service from the power company put in so your steam cleaner can have its on service with proper wire size?
I am thinking a new panel would be much cheaper than a genset, even with a genset your still gonna need the VFD, unless you buy a 480v genset
but Jesus you are gonna pay big....like buying another small house kind of big.

No, the breaker supplying your dryer is what, 30amps?
To pull the amp requirements needed for your steam cleaner you need more than double the 30amp capacity you currently have.
If the wire size is to small for the amps being pulled through it, it will over heat from the resistance and possibly catch something on fire.

Would you consider having another service from the power company put in so your steam cleaner can have its on service with proper wire size?
I am thinking a new panel would be much cheaper than a genset, even with a genset your still gonna need the VFD, unless you buy a 480v genset
but Jesus you are gonna pay big....like buying another small house kind of big.

You mean another 220Volt outlet with thicker wires?
I am moving to a new house so maybee , but not sure.

How about connecting 2 standard 220Volt outlets to a phase converter to power the steam cleaner?

It would be much cheaper to replace the heating elements if necessary, or simply rewire them for 240 volts single phase.

Literally pennies on the dollar.

18 kva is 75 amps at 240 vac. you will need a 100 amp breaker, or two 50 amp breakers if you can somehow separate the load. I have never heard of anyone running breakers in parallel and somehow making such a system comply with code.

The product you link to says two 9KW boilers.

Now i'm guessing they have two electronically controlled (this means SCRs or Triacs, or relays, electronically controlled) 3 phase boilers. This implies at least 6 heating elements. depending on how the elements are wired they may be 480v or 277 or two 240vac elements in series (240vac elements means a total of 12 heating elements) for the 480v 60 hz model.

I wouldn't count on enough margin in the control electronics to rewire the boilers for 277v and running them from the same SCRs, triacs or relays, but there may be. however you would only get 75% of 18KW if they are 277 volt elements.

I do not expect you to be able to rewire the machine for 240v and run the current through the same control electronics, as this doubles the amps... but it may be possible, need a very detailed account of the hardware involved. if they have a 50 amp three phase relays on each boiler, sure you can. But if they have 30 or 40 amp solid state relays then you're close to the edge

You mean another 220Volt outlet with thicker wires?
I am moving to a new house so maybee , but not sure.

How about connecting 2 standard 220Volt outlets to a phase converter to power the steam cleaner?

Even if you were to manage getting two 220v wires out of your box you still have the issue of maxing out your home service.
With the steam cleaner running you only have 25% left to power the rest of your home.
Another thing to think about, if your pulling 75amps on a 100amp service the power bill is gonna be hefty. At that amperage it like you have everything on in the house wide open.

I would ask power company about dropping another pole and meter.
The steam cleaner would have its very on service and the electric bill will be separate from your home bill.
If you run the steam cleaner a lot it will most likely be about the same bill as your house but you wouldn't have the issue of service overload on your home electrical.

Dry Steam (Saturated) Cleaner

Spud, to run this machine at home on 1Φ 240V is going to cost a ton, even if the machine is free.

Start with a circuit of about 125A 1Φ 240V. To get this size circuit the house probably will need a service upgrade.

Then add a large 240V rotary phase converter, or an electronic one.

Then add a large 240V to 480V 3Φ step up transformer. And all the associated wiring expense.

It renders the machine pretty non portable, stuck near the required heavy electrical gear.

480V electric heating for a steam source from 240V 1Φ is a killer, anything less than full power, is going to prevent you from getting to the dry steam (saturated)temperature.

When I mentioned earlier getting a kerosene fired unit, I wasn't speaking of a high pressure, propane fired, hot water unit. I'm speaking of a low pressure, dry steam unit, oil fired, electric pump. These are portable, run on a 120V circuit, and supply the heat from kerosene or diesel fuel.

Have a look here:
Item # 246, Dry Stream Generator Pressure Washers On Alkota Cleaning Systems, Inc.

I have one of these units, built back in the 60's I believe. It's an awesome cleaning machine. Puts out plenty of heat for real steam and is low pressure. It cleans excellent, without the damage associated associated with high pressure models. And uses little water to get the job done. It will clean asphalt shingles, wood siding, greasy engines, industrial equipment, food equipment all without damage to the materials being cleaned when used properly.

I found mine used for a few hundred, did a rebuild on it, and have been using it for 20+ years. Beautiful thing that it runs off of 120V, and can go to the work. Bonus is it's made in the USA, and lasts for years with a little care.

Probably would be cheaper to acquire one of these, than to setup the required electric equipment and service to run the one you have. If you really have the need for dry steam cleaning.

SAF Ω

Back