What's new
What's new

How to safely store electrical spare parts?

mmurray70

Stainless
Just bought some spare electrical components for an old cnc lathe I have here. Wondering if its possible to safely store these in an unheated attic above my shop? Little concerned about temperature swings and condensation/corrosion.

Is there a way to safely store parts in this environment or should it be heated? would it be safe if I put everything in a bag with few desiccant packs?

Moisture is the biggest enemy of circuit boards. Contacts for card edges, switches and IC sockets will corrode. Makes for intermittent connections that can be a royal PITA to track down.

Heat and cold not so much when they're not in operation. Keep 'em dry no matter what. If they absolutely must go into the attic, use a hermetically sealed container (a 'la Pelican case or gasketed ammo box) to resist ingress due to changes in atmospheric pressure and temperature. Include lots of desiccant.

Look for and buy the anti-static zip lock bags.

They are made for this.

Many varieties for multiple sizes.

Either pink or silver.

Some even are bubble wrap.

Get size larger than your boards so they fully fit and seal.

Next, maybe cheap 2 drawer file cabinet, the Wal-Mart kind that is crappy, lighter weight but still good size. Place bagged boards inside and close, keeps varmints out.

Latching drawers optional.

Desiccant packs, save them as you find them, toss into drawers too.

Take inventory, label outside of each bag with what is inside, also label storage of where boards what is inside and copy this data to sheet in your machine.

Check any and all batteries and maybe remove to avoid leaking.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Speculation on my part...

A recent thread on machinery storage in a bag had a suggestion to fill the bag with an inert gas to displace the oxygen from the bag- and thus no rust can form. If you have access to gas for TIG welding it would be easy to do- along with the desiccant bags. You can buy argon in a can (Bloxygen). Bloxygen Preserver. Spray, Seal, and Store. 1 can pack. - Painting Coveralls - Amazon.com

On a different site I found a suggestion to use propane to keep paint from skimming over. I tried it, and it does work- at least on a short term basis. I would not try this in the ammo can though...

File cabinets do not keep mice out, even when latched. Learned that one the the hard way.

Last edited:
The parts are already in your CNC machine and working. You want to store spares a few feet above the working ones.
I don't think it's going to make a big difference what you do. I would use plastic bags for the parts, and store in a cardboard box.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

The parts I have are a little too big for an envelope. I have a full computer system here out of an old Mazak. I guess best I could do would be big plastic tote or large garbage bag with bunch of desiccant packs?

Back