What's new
What's new

http://i62.tinypic.com/dwyj4y.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewest

Plastic
Single phase motor rotation

Can you take a look at the pics below and tell me if that motor is reverseable and if so, how i might do that? No label or diagram on the motor. I have 2 sets of wires that originate from the coil, the whites and the oranges. The reds come from the capacitor, if thats what it is. Thanks for your help.

50d2d.jpg

dwyj4y.jpg

Last edited:
davewest,

Welcome to the Practical Machinist. I believe your motor is a PSC motor, a permenant split capacitor motor. Although not 100% sure, I think the only way you could reverse the rotation would be to get into the motor windings and pull out the appropriate 'buried' connections. I have done this on a older PSC motor but it was a chore. Your motor looks pretty compact..probably very difficult to do.

Stuart

davewest,

Welcome to the Practical Machinist. I believe your motor is a PSC motor, a permenant split capacitor motor. Although not 100% sure, I think the only way you could reverse the rotation would be to get into the motor windings and pull out the appropriate 'buried' connections. I have done this on a older PSC motor but it was a chore. Your motor looks pretty compact..probably very difficult to do.

Stuart

Thanks!

I suspected it wasnt reversible but wanted to verify. Looks like Im shopping for a new setup. Thanks again.

if you check the wiring, and find that the hot wire (the black one) goes into the motor and to the capacitor(and then to the motor) you could try reversing those 2 connections (the hot side)

I haven't a clue what your gizmo is but...there is a video on YouTube of a fellow reversing a PSC HVAC fan motor. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen..he pulls the rotor out, swaps it end for end and claims that this will reverse the rotation of the motor. He doesn't run it for the viewer to see. I wonder if it's BS..I can't see how it would work. Could be smoke and mirrors.

Stuart

I'm not sure if this helps but our belt sander suddenly started running the opposite direction recently. Turns out the capacitor went bad and we replaced it. Maybe you are having the same problem we had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back