What's new
What's new

RPC Start Cap Sizing

gzig5

Hot Rolled
I've got a 5hp RPC I built a few years ago. Works well with the exception of not starting correctly about 5-10% of the time. It sits there and buzzes without turning. Turn it off and then back on and it starts fine. The start cap is a 270-324 uF part. Is this big enough for the 5hp motor? I'm wondering if the poles are in a certain orientation that the cap isn't providing enough phase shift or whatever it is doing to get the rotor turning. Is there a rule of thumb of uF per Hp?

The times that it just sits there:

A motor overload device should be disconnecting the motor. A manual control mechanism would not be healthy, as in you just let it buzz for a long enough time to cause harm. The start capacitor value is good if when the motor starts the time delay is 1/2 - 1 sec.

The overload doesn't trip because I hit the stop button as soon as I realize it isn't starting correctly. Time relay to take out the start cap is set to 750ms.

It sounds like whatever is being used to connect the start capacitor is not always making contact. First item I would check are the connections and the relay or contactor contacts.

Tom

It sounds like whatever is being used to connect the start capacitor is not always making contact. First item I would check are the connections and the relay or contactor contacts.

Tom

I was thinking about that this afternoon on the way to pickup a 5hp motor for a second RPC for the basement shop. The contactors had some years on them before I re-purposed them so it is plausible.

Back