What's new
What's new

I bought a few motors r and I'm confused as to how they work

King Crimson

Plastic
s-l1600.jpg

I bought 3 of these motors in order to make a cylinder (it's for a cosplay, EA specifically) spin. I want the top and bottom segments to spin clockwise and the middle to spin counter-clockwise; however, I am unsure as to how to make the motors work. I don't know what the wires do or why there are 3 of them and would appreciate any help.

Thankyou

Last edited:
These look like brushless DC motors.

You need specific driving electronics, and they likely spin at several thousand RPM.

You probably want a small brushed DC gearmotor.

Thanks for your response, the problem I face is I need three motors stacked on top of each other at 3 different intervals along a tube to rotate the three different segments. Because of this, I need the wires to go through a hole in the center of the motors - hence why I got these. If not, the wires will simply tangle as it spins. I have realized these are way too powerful and complicated for what I need, but I can't find appropriate motors (lower RPM lower voltage) anywhere. Have you any suggestions?

Thankyou

They look like brushless motors with built-in drivers. The third wire is a tell-tale to let you know that they are running. These motors are used for computer fans. The computer monitors if they are running or not. There is a way to run these on just 12V or 5V without monitoring, but I can't recall how.
The are not at all powerful, but may run faster than you want - given that they are designed to drive a fan.
what's the diameter of your cylinders and how fast do you want them to spin?

The base of the cylinder is about 8cm diameter and the top is 3cm, and I'd like it to spin around 200rpm at max

The base of the cylinder is about 8cm diameter and the top is 3cm, and I'd like it to spin around 200rpm at max

They don't look like fan motors to me. Fan motors would contain a small PC board. And the wires would almost certainly be color coded: red = +, black = -, and some other color for the tach signal.

Those look like hobby class three-phase brushless motors. The need dedicated electronics to spin, and they normally run a lot faster than 200 RPM, although with sufficiently light load you could probably run them at 200.

Unless you are hardcore into electronics, you probably want to search for a hobby ESC (electronic speed controller). But no guarantees how well it will work.

You'd probably be better off using a more conventional motor, mounting it off-axis inside your cylinder, and using gear, belt, or friction drive to spin the cylinder (around a full-length rigid central "pole" that also mounts the motors and carries the wires.)

Back