What's new
What's new

I need to upgrade my phase converter

TheoA

Plastic
Hi all. I'm in a bit of a bind as I upgraded my widebelt sander and now dont have the power to run it. :(

My 40hp phase converter worked fine on my old 16hp motor but wont start my new widebelt, a 20hp. Just a whomp noise, motor moves a smidge and that's it.

I'm feeding the 40hp converter with a 125amp breaker and appropriate wire

Can I add a 15hp phase converter to what I have to generate enough juice to start this puppy? .

You really don't need to add a complete phase converter. You need to just connect the 15 hp motor as a load (after starting the RPC) and it will then make your 40 hp RPC a 55 hp RPC.

Wire it up with a stop/start switches and a motor starter and that way you will not need to run it when using lessor loads.

You could also just try turning on other large motor items in the shop prior to starting the widebelt.

Under full load on the widebelt you will be about maxed out on the breaker size.

Also, be sure the control circuit in the widebelt is not connected to the "generated leg". It could be that the control circuit is dropping out when you attempt to start the widebelt.

Bill

Back