What's new
What's new

Ideas on a project with a 6 hp ac motor?

fettersp

Aluminum
I had the unfortunate experience of my old air compressor destroying itself. It left me with the tank and motor. The motor is 6 hp. 15 amp 220v and spins at 3330 rpm. Any ideas on what I could make with it?

I had the unfortunate experience of my old air compressor destroying itself. It left me with the tank and motor. The motor is 6 hp. 15 amp 220v and spins at 3330 rpm. Any ideas on what I could make with it?

15 amps at 220v and you think it's "6 hp" ?

Try for qty (3) hp.

should drive a nice suction fan/blower.

15 amps at 220v and you think it's "6 hp" ?

Try for qty (3) hp.

should drive a nice suction fan/blower.

It's possible the motor is 6HP (like 20A max), but the compressor itself is rated for 15A given the expected load on the motor.

I could be wrong. The tank says 6.5 hp on it but the motor ratings are the single phase 220 15 amps.

I think I heard something about it being 'peak' horsepower, either during start or top-of-stroke, or something similarly stupid.

It's 3HP.

If it's in a big sticker on the side of the tank, it is absolutely wrong. My wife has a vacuum cleaner that says "4hp"... And it pulls about 4A at 115v.

Marketing people do everything they can, to overstate and inflate performance ratings, and when they can't do that, they just downright lie.

If this motor came off a machine with that kind of marking, my gut tells me it isn't likely to be a very good motor, but if the motor has it's own ID plate, it might actually be a bona-fide 2hp... 220v x 15A = 3.3kw, which is 4.4 ELECTRICAL horsepower. I'm betting they rated it at 15A to keep it advertised within the 'surge rating' of a common 240v/15A receptacle.

If it is a belt-driving motor, I'd find either a good used, or inexpensive import compressor head, and slap it on, and call it a compressor again. I'd take a spray-can or scraper to the 6hp label, so that the new compressor head lasts longer. If you really DO want that kind of power, you need to put a THRUSH sticker, and mebbie a HOLLEY sticker on it. ;-)

Back