What's new
What's new

Ignoramus wants to run accessory motor in sync with VFD

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
I would like a small 120VAC coolant pump to trigger on and off in sync with the motor being run by the VFD.

Can someone tell me if a Hitachi WJ200 VFD will also somehow run a 120V coolant motor without adding more complications? Is there some internal accommodation for doing so? Is there an EASY way for an ignoramus to accomplish this?

Thank you.

Is there an external switch to the VFD that starts the main motor? Does it have any spare contacts that could be used to run your 120v motor? Might be much simpler to leave the VFD out of the equation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can set the VFD so that one of the Logical Outputs will be on whenever the VFD is in a RUN condition.

Set Function Code C022 to option "00". This will set Logical Output 12 to be on when the machine is in RUN.

Then use that output to switch an external relay to control the 120VAC to your pump.

See page 4-7 in the manual for details on hookup.

That VFD has a relay output that can be programmed to switch when the VFD is in the running state. page 4-52 of the manual gives the overview. 1-10 gives the relay current ratings. You may need to use the relay to drive a contactor for the pump.

If the VFD were operated in fixed frequenct mode, you could just hook up the pump in parallel with the drive motor.

Is there an external switch to the VFD that starts the main motor? Does it have any spare contacts that could be used to run your 120v motor? Might be much simpler to leave the VFD out of the equation

There is. Thank you. I appreciate the input.

You can set the VFD so that one of the Logical Outputs will be on whenever the VFD is in a RUN condition.
Set Function Code C022 to option "00". This will set Logical Output 12 to be on when the machine is in RUN.
Then use that output to switch an external relay to control the 120VAC to your pump.
See page 4-7 in the manual for details on hookup.

That VFD has a relay output that can be programmed to switch when the VFD is in the running state. page 4-52 of the manual gives the overview. 1-10 gives the relay current ratings. You may need to use the relay to drive a contactor for the pump.
If the VFD were operated in fixed frequenct mode, you could just hook up the pump in parallel with the drive motor.

Thank you, gents. I will investigate this, too. It is possibly slightly complicated by the fact that one of the relay options is being used for turning the motor off, after a cycle cam has made a revolution and trips a switch. ( AL1 & C140 delay )

If I can use AL2 for an external pump motor relay, that would be great.

Thank you all.

There is. Thank you. I appreciate the input.

Thank you, gents. I will investigate this, too. It is possibly slightly complicated by the fact that one of the relay options is being used for turning the motor off, after a cycle cam has made a revolution and trips a switch. ( AL1 & C140 delay )

If I can use AL2 for an external pump motor relay, that would be great.

Thank you all.

You can also sense presence/flow of power off any one of the primary motor leads, "don't have to care" what Hz. To operate an Opto, current, magnetic, etc, etc, etc. switch or relay.

The way I am prone to cheating? I'd prolly use a magnetic switch on the motor housing or an optical or magnetic for sensing rotation was underway.....so as to stay out of the power AND control wiring entirely.

But only if you want to avoid complicating s**t for the enjoyment of the great gobs of fun in it.

Or NOT so much?

Y...
The way I am prone to cheating? I'd prolly use a magnetic switch on the motor housing or an optical or magnetic for sensing rotation was underway....

Suprised - guessing you would advocate tying a bag of acorns to the shaft. When the main motor runs, the squirel sees the acorns and steps on a treadle switch to try to catch them. And turns on the second motor.

What ever happened to those SSRs? Forgot about those?

Suprised - guessing you would advocate tying a bag of acorns to the shaft. When the main motor runs, the squirel sees the acorns and steps on a treadle switch to try to catch them. And turns on the second motor.
Team squirrel up and quit. Whole krew last seen under the usual blue fog of an over-age-in-grade screeming-meemie GMC off a salvaged 1949 Greyhound bus.
Diaries and cellphone records indicate the wuz heading to Peekskill, NY to hire-out for kinkey-fuckery "Keyhole" entry brain surgery.

ou really don't want to known what a kinky squirrel might consider a "keyhole", but the anecdotal evidence sez their last Collitch Prof was a retired Hamster of a proctological persuasion..

Didn't have the heart to tell 'em their intended benefactor wuz at-risk of leaving them with medical bills unpaid off the back of croaking on an anally-retentive "TDS" spew after the motorsickle accident saw them sew his arsehole shut off mistaking it for a brain aneurism.
What ever happened to those SSRs? Forgot about those?

WTF have you NOT "forgot about?"

The ones I use "the most" trigger off as low as 3 VDC to 35 VDC - which fires an LED mated to a phototransistor, so "obviously" already have a bit of network organic, LED's needing such.

Cheap Hall effect, packaged, else Old Skewl vacuum mag-reed could do, here, too.

I'm grown too stupid for this s**t in me dotage, so just put the juice pumps on an ignorant toggle switch of their own.

Not interested in having my ones flooding and squirting when a spindle is turning.

Only when a tool is in the cut AND it is an op, alloy, and tool au fait with coolant, given not all of mine ARE.

That said, ISTR our Brother, the OP, has got that interdependencies part already sorted by means of integrating other gating then vetting via a DeMorgan Truth Table?

Back