What's new
What's new

Input for 40HP RPC?

SND

Diamond
I'm just looking at my options for the day that my my PT-355 will decide to retire. That one runs a 20hp CNC lathe, and the 7.5hp screw compressor and 7.5hp CNC mill. I usually only run the CNC lathe by itself, or mill/comp together, not all 3.

Looks like a 40hp RPC size is what I'd need if I was to try to replace the PT-355 with that.
I currently have #2 and 125A breaking on the 1ph side to the PT-355, and #2 out of it to my delta/wye transformer then to a 3ph SquareD panel.
Could a 40hp rpc just be swapped in place or would I really need to go with 150-200A breaker and 1/0 wire so feed that thing?
I'd likely go with something like those new american rotary models that are supposed to start easier.
I only have 200A on 1ph on the shop.
How big a steady load would the 1ph side really see with a 40hp RPC? I know the ramp up on the lathe spindle takes about 105A on the 1ph side for a second with the PT-355 now, most of my actual cutting is in the 10-30% spindle load range, so maybe 20-30ish A on the 1ph size while it cuts.
What are you guys that run CNC's on RPC's see for loads, and at idle?

thanks

I looked a bit in pairing RPC's, seems interesting. Anyhow, looks like I got a couple options.
For now I'll hope the PP's keep going for many more years, odds are I'll just get another PP if it comes to it now that it looks like a line reactor does a good job of taking the feedback noise out that kept bothering me.

Pretty much everything around here is 600V for 3ph service.
I've been looking a bit for commercial land outside the city but there's not much and I feel more like retiring than building another shop at this point.

I built a load dump box for a man with a brother spedio. (a string of zeners in series with a solid state relay which turns on a resistor)

when his spindle dynamically brakes from 16k rpm to stop in 200 milliseconds, it dumps about 70 to 80 amps back upstream.

That voltage pushes the voltage at the machine from 200vac to 250-260volts and it trips on overvoltage. (Most of the time)

I used a 5.6kw 240v furnace heater element connected from the third leg to neutral at his 240v 20hp rotary converter. 208volts nominal, it works, but would be safer with a bigger heater element.

When you work the numbers out, the generated leg was found to have a resistance of about 1 ohm.

So put an amp clamp meter on the third leg of your machine and find the peak current, and that will tell you what you need.

Back