Installing a Tachometer on a Lathe
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Installing a Tachometer on a Lathe

Morning guys,I have a lathe that came with a rotary phase converter which I will be able to run other machines with it so that a plus.My problem now is telling how fast my lathe is running since it has the reeves pulley setup,which I use a crank handle to change speeds.So last night I got on Youtube and watch some that those owners installed a tach on their lathe for rpm reference.What I am wondering if someone here has done that to their lathe or mill would like to hear how you like that setup?Or if you solve this problem dealing with it another way please let me know cause I don't have a clue.Either way,where or who did you purchase your parts from,I did look at the auction site and there must be a million tachs.How can a person tell which one is better than the other

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I picked up one of these Amazon.com: tachometer laser
    and spent a few minutes taking readings at different settings and recording them. Not the most elegant, but the cheapest, and accurate enough for my purposes

3. Likes Red James, Can'tWeld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look on eBay under digital tachometer, there are several that use hall effect and cost about$20.00.
    Karl

5. Likes Can'tWeld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a South Bend with a 72 tooth back gear, I mounted a magnetic pickup reading the teeth and fed it to a Red Lion electric tach. These are set up for a 60 tooth gear so a 1 second count reads RPM directly. Since the gear had 72 teeth, I told the counter it was running on 50 cycle AC, making it read correctly.

7. Likes JST, motion guru, ptsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

dsc_0865.jpg

I used a slotted optical switch mounted on a mill as shown which is connected to a small microcontroller circuit that just counts the pulses and does a simple operation to display rpm. I was going to take a picture of the rest of the gizmo but I am lazy tonight. That was years ago and you might suspect that I am really thrilled with it. Not because it doesn't work, with more experience I find that all that kind of jazz is not very helpful. With experience you don't need it. If you don't know what a optical switch is, the one in the pic is a OPB 829D.

http://datasheetz.com/data/Sensors,%...atasheetz.html

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    On a South Bend with a 72 tooth back gear, I mounted a magnetic pickup reading the teeth and fed it to a Red Lion electric tach. These are set up for a 60 tooth gear so a 1 second count reads RPM directly. Since the gear had 72 teeth, I told the counter it was running on 50 cycle AC, making it read correctly.
    Sorry for the zombie thread bump, but I want to do the exact same thing. Do you have a part number on the mag pickup and tachometer display you used?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I installed it probably 30 years ago and the counter I used is out of print.
    Here is a link to a distributor. Scroll down to the data sheets. I recently bought several meters for a similar application and had to buy a whole computer in a panel meter to get the one function I needed. There are probably better options.

http://stevenengineering.com/Tech_Su...NEL-METERS.pdf

Here is a link for magnetic pickups.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2058061.pdf

They have pretty much stayed the same except for being more versions.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

YouTube

Measure the speed, mark the speed handle at each end. Interpolate appropriately.