What's new
What's new

Jet 3 phase 460v wiring questions

borjawil

Plastic
Jdp-20evs 460 drill press. Got it for a steal so couldn't pass it up. I've been doing some research on a rotary converter to convert my 230 single to 460 three phase to run the drill press.

However I see on the motor it says 230/460. Manual says it's already been wired for 460 only. Manual also states the 230 3 phase version can be wired for single phase.

At the back of the drill press is a box with a 460 vfd in it, wired up. I believe this came stock.

So 1) I've tried looking through the rotary plans but it's a lot and I just need a plan for a 2hp (my idler would be 3hp) 230 single to 460 three phase

Or

2) info on rewiring the motor for 3 phase 230

Also wondering why there's a vfd stock with the drill press.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If my memory serves, the VFD is how that drill press gets its variable speed. I’d recommend looking into VFDs and decide if you want to keep that functionality when you do your wiring conversion. As a part of that research, you’ll come across the pros and cons of each method of making three phase power from single phase (at different voltages)

Well if I rewire the motor to 230 3 phase, I can then use the vfd I have now that converts 230 single to 3 phase. So I suppose a non issue on the variable speed.

So I supposed I'll have to figure out how to rewire the motor. there are also multiple wires, bus bars, etc. In that black box the stock vfd sits in. I'm assuming these for the other functions/switches of the press. Is there any issue using these components rated for 460 (believe their rating is 600vac but I'd have to double check)? If it's helpful I can get pics and specs of the components.

I'll assume you are after operation on 230 three phase

Open connection box on motor

Some of the dual voltage jobs have NINE wires coming out of the motor

Tell us if that is the case, and tell us if the ID tags are intact on those nine wires - they are often hidden under blobs of tape

If you only have the three motor wires associated with the three "line" wires, you may not be able to reconnect for 230

An often used lash up for nine wires and 230 is

T1 and T7 connected to a line wire
T2 and T8 connected to a line wire
T3 and T9 connected to a line wire
T4, T5 and T6 connected to each other but nothing else

(T wires are coming out of the motor - while "line" wires are bringing in the "juice")

Any thermal overloads will have to accommodate twice the amps as was needed for 460

I looked at the manual. I believe the difference between the 240V and 460V versions is the VFD. Just rewire the motor for 240V and replace the VFD. The pump motor cab be converted as well.

From the manual:

P/N 5510233-1/3 - Delta Inverter, M-type - 220V, 1/3PH
P/N 5517370 - Delta Inverter, M-type - 440V, 3PH

P/N 5510456 - Coolant Pump - 115V/230V, 1P
P/N 5512103 - Coolant Pump - 220/440V, 3P

https://content.jettools.com/assets/manuals/354220_man_EN.pdf

Thanks for the quick help. I think with my inverter I can get it going. I still have to take a look at it but I did pull the motor plate off and it had a high and low voltage diagram. Assumi g the low voltage is for 230.

Just so you know what you got a great deal on you should check the tram, yes I know you can't adjust it, that does not mean it is right. The one I used a while back was .040 out on a 8" diameter sweep. Bonus!! If you raise or lower the table you can't leave your work clamped to the table. Example, drill a hole, lower the table to put a reamer in the chuck and find the ream off in the "Y" axis. Not much of a drill press, just sort of a drill press shaped object.

The motor can be wired for 230. 9 wire. Got that done. On the side not numbered I have 3 posts with two wires each. They are labeled as,
1 BLK, U1 Red - 2 BLK, V1 Wht - 3 BLK, W1 BLK

Assuming the 1,2,&3 blks are the lines

On the VFD there are bus bars. Wires to these are as follows (wire label/vfd label)
A/ACM, V/AVI, 10+/10V
R/R, F/F, C/DCM
R/R(L1), S/S(L2), T/T(L3)
U1/U(T1), V1/V(T2), W1/W(T3)

The wires on the T1-3 are the wires from the motor. Believe the L1-3 are the black wires labeled 1-3 on the motor as well. All the other wires at the vfd are smaller blue wires assuming they go to the switches/components.

I'm adding photos of the component diagram on the inside of the cover of the back of the press, and a couple other pics. I took a pic of a terminal board that shows 230, 460, etc. That I believe I need to rewire. Can get more specifics if needed.
03bcfd5e378728050f2b74ea771d0d1f.jpg
93dd82454534b4bde05fcdf07bfdf2a9.jpg
1f3ca521507e5e19d200e4b320385148.jpg
e9308710c6d4b28b7494760332585ad4.jpg

Gregg as stated above I have a VFD that will change the 230 single to 3 phase 230. As I have wired the motor from 460 to 230, I just need to confirm the wiring inside the big black box on the back of the drill press.

As seen in the pics I posted there is a component with 230, 460, etc. Voltages. I'm assuming this needs to be rewired for 230. Just want to confirm proper wiring.

Side note there are vfds and such to convert single phase 230 to 415 three phase etc. However they're about $1000 give or take.

Also just realized after searching that the components in side the black box are all interchangeable with between the 230 and 460 models except the inverter (obviously).

The transformer label TR on the paper sheet is shown as being wired one way, while as seen in the picture above being wired a different way. On paper it shows L11 to 0v and L21 to 230v.

On the machine it's L11 to 460 and L21 to 0V

Looking at the parts diagrams online everything besides the motor/inverter are interchangeable. It shows the paper diagram as being the same as well. I'll keep looking but I find it odd that the wiring doesn't match for my 460 and would appear the wiring diagram is for 230 maybe.

Called jet technical. Was told to simply move the wire at the TR (transformer) 460 terminal to the 230 terminal.

So if that's all set, looks like I just need help getting my VFD setup.

Here is a pic of the terminal labels I have on my VFD.

b07d5efb7bb520cff64597c4c90fbcce.jpg

Yes. I am aware the vfd inside the box needs to be replaced. Because it's a 3 phase 460 to 3 phase 460 vfd.

While I am uncertain but trying to figure out if my VFD inverter for single phase 220 to 3 phase 220 will work for the programming/connections the original vfd has, I am looking into and have posted a picture of the connections that are available. It's cheaper vfd and I've used it previously on a three phase dust collector. Bit easier on programming since all I had to do was turn the speed knob.

The manual for programming is poorly written - bad translation to English. But maybe the picture of my VFD connections will help to determine if it'll work.

They all have the same basic functions. Post the model # of the drill VFD and your VFD. That will help more than pics.

Picture of my model number and info attached. VFD-B-460 is the jet part number. PU01 I think was on the cover of the jet vfd.
ceb2c4ef130cda24fcde96df1028f237.jpg

It's $1k for the 230 vfd that jet uses, unless I find a used one. Even then I don't think I'll find something within my budget.

The vfd only controls the speed and direction of the motor correct? The buttons on the front of the press turn it on, off, forward, reverse, and speed knob. The levers on the side control the engagement of the auto drive and what not.

So I suppose either I'll have to figure how to wire the bottoms and remote speed knob to my VFD, or sell my VFD and purchase the correct one.

I likely won't use the tapping feature or drive feature of the press. At least not now. As I said I got a great deal on the press, and it'll do fine for me using it as a regular press. I can always save up/look into getting the correct vfd if mine won't work.

Alright so update on things

Jet inverter currently installed has
ACM, AVI, 10V, F, R, DCM terminals that are connected to the press

My inverter has X1,X2,X3,x4, FWD, REC, DC+, COM, +5, VI, AOUT, AI, 10+, FA, FB, GND

So from what makes logical sense:
F to FWD, R to REV, 10+ to 10+, DCM to COM.

Jet technical has no info but the link above for the inverter says the ACM is the analog common and the AVI is the master frequency (wiring schematic attached). Another page on that same manual for the jet inverter linked says ACM is analog control signal (common), and AVI is analog voltage input. Im thinking AVI goes to my VI (analog voltage freq reference input) and ACM to GND. GND I believe would be common for analog and control signals?

From what I can find on my inverter the AI is analog current corresponding to highest operating freq, and VI analog voltage corresponding to the highest operating frequency. FA and FB is a multi output (n/o n/c) which would reference a contact switch if I'm not mistaken.

I will try to get more information.

834f1d877d10297d2c1ae0d2bc76abe0.jpg

c5382799cbf8e48c53420a242f1bfb29.jpg

Pretty sure I have the smaller wiring correct.

However I just realized an issue.

I'm running single phase 230 (2 hots and a gnd).

Wiring on the machine is PWR source into box connected to terminal bar > to on/off lockout switch > to contact breaker > VDF. 3 leads from pwr to the VFD. I left L3 off or T.

Press the ON button on press, it lights up, puts power to VDF. But VDF is not On, just powered.

Turn vdf on, I can't control speed from press dial, only from VDF dial.

Thoughts?

You will need to set a parameter, called something like 'speed reference' or 'frequency reference' to 'analogue voltage input' or similar, from 'front panel pot' or 'keypad pot'.

You might also need to set 'start signal source' to external terminals from keypad.

Back