What's new
What's new

Lathe motor replacement or auto transformer

hackish

Plastic
I'm looking at buying a Harrison VS330TR. It is a 3hp 1000RPM motor setup for 600v. From what I can tell, there are no taps to run it on 220v. I'm buying an AX10 to get 220 3ph. I can buy a 220-600v transformer for about $500 delivered, or a completely new motor for about $400. I was wondering if anyone has ever gone this route - ie are most lathes just rocking a standard mount motor or are they all custom manufacturer specific units?

Most of the time the different motor voltages is just a different set of windings in the same frame. For instance you could pull the 600V motor, send it to a rebuild shop and have it come back nice and shiny ready for 220 volts. For what cost I don't know.

In general, the more links in the chain, the more potential problems may occur. On the other hand, you haven't mentioned anything about the controls and auxiliary motors such as coolant pumps. Changing all of them may be a real hassle.

Tom

Pull the motor and go to a motor shop, have the shop bring out all 12 leads and wire the motor 2 delta , That will drop the voltage to 200 volt for 50 cps, should work well on 230 volt 60 cps...Phil

Most of the time the different motor voltages is just a different set of windings in the same frame. For instance you could pull the 600V motor, send it to a rebuild shop and have it come back nice and shiny ready for 220 volts. For what cost I don't know.

In general, the more links in the chain, the more potential problems may occur. On the other hand, you haven't mentioned anything about the controls and auxiliary motors such as coolant pumps. Changing all of them may be a real hassle.

Tom

Good point. I have no idea if it has any coolant pumps. The speed change is all mechanical. You might be right about just sticking with it as a stock setup and finding a way to feed it 600v so I can make chips without turning it into a project.

Back