What's new
What's new

looking for 60hp + rpc plans / ideas ?????

windsormw

Aluminum
Hi folks ,

Was looking for some info on building a 60- 75 hp rpc . Had picked up a 30 hp motor ( planned to build a 30 hp rpc ) a while back but after recent additions to shop , I don't think that a 30 hp is going to "float the boat" .

Years ago I'd built a F-W 10hp rpc & its been a good reliable unit but not going to have the " mustard " to drive a Fadal 4020 & 15hp cnc lathe .

There is 200 amp service at this residence , please give me your thoughts
thanks

A 200 amp service will not power a 25hp rpc, at 60 hp it time to pucker up buy 3 phase and pay the bill, or get a 75kw diesel generator ( your hoa will love that)...Phil

A 200 amp service will not power a 25hp rpc, at 60 hp it time to pucker up buy 3 phase and pay the bill, or get a 75kw diesel generator ( your hoa will love that)...Phil

Damit !

I live @ the corner of hill & William - HILL&BILLY ! No neighbors for a mile or so ............200 amp service isn't gonna fly my 11,000 lbs VMC via RPC ?

that really bums me out

I think you can run those 2 machines on a 20hp RPC, but maybe not at the same time.

My power Co got (very) cranky when I told them I wanted to start a 30hp bullard with a 50hp idler. But I was running a full machine shop with many 5-10hp motors before that point. Just not all at once. And 3ph was available. You can get away with more where 3ph power isnt available and your neighbors wont mind/dont exist.

Your CNC lathe and Fadal can probably run on a 40-60a single phase breaker unless you run them both at the same time.

A 20hp American rotary CNC balanced job should do what you need. As long as you dont push it too hard.

New 20hp RPC is about $1500, and a new 3ph service or genny is going to be 20k plus. Definitely worth seeing what your power can support before having to upgrade in this case.

Use a pony motor to start the phase convertor. That takes the big inrush of power (amps) out of the equation.
Did this on a 200 amp service for years. Still might not let you start both machines at the same time, but is easier to balance out the voltage on a bigger generator seems like. I ran a big Sidney lathe 15hp, a mori sl25 ,a fadal 4020 and other support machines, grinders ect on the same 200 amp service.
We ran a 100 hp rpc the same way on a large grain handling system but had 2 600 amp single phase services. Tried starting that one as a self starter but the contactor wouldn’t last so just got it spinning with a 5 hp single phase motor . It just idles with the rpc. That ones been in service for close to 20 years.
I did upgrade my shop to 400 amps. That was the largest that i could go without a demand charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Phil ,

3 wires do not populate the hydro poles in these parts , closest pick up point for 3 phase is a few miles away . Not practical for a rural ninja on a budget .

You can do this.

I'd use the 30, pony start, add two 20's, same-again.

ELSE a 20 and a 10, the ten cap-started and run alone when just puttering about, "main" power-hog machines idle.

But first... as yer out in the boonies?

Job ONE is to confirm you really HAVE a sustainable 200A service, AND NOT ..just the "rated" switchgear and conductors that CAN transfer it, but.. an undersized pole or vault transformer up the line that can NOT sustain it.

As has been known to happen.... powerco's being cheapskate statisticians not expecting a "residence" to ever actually draw the full 200 A.

PS: I'd be tempted to use 12 VDC IC engine DC starters for the pony power. Belted, not geared, left in-circuit with an Old Skewl generator-not-alternator Voltage Regulator to recharge their own battery.

That way, there isn't even a 2 to 5 HP single-phase motor drawing any AC mains power whatsover when the time comes to light the big boys up.

You can do this.

I'd use the 30, pony start, add two 20's, same-again.

ELSE a 20 and a 10, the ten cap-started and run alone when just puttering about, "main" power-hog machines idle.

But first... as yer out in the boonies?

Job ONE is to confirm you really HAVE a sustainable 200A service, AND NOT ..just the "rated" switchgear and conductors that CAN transfer it, but.. an undersized pole or vault transformer up the line that can NOT sustain it.

As has been known to happen.... powerco's being cheapskate statisticians not expecting a "residence" to ever actually draw the full 200 A.

PS: I'd be tempted to use 12 VDC IC engine DC starters for the pony power. Belted, not geared, left in-circuit with an Old Skewl generator-not-alternator Voltage Regulator to recharge their own battery.

That way, there isn't even a 2 to 5 HP single-phase motor drawing any AC mains power whatsover when the time comes to light the big boys up.

So....
- build the 30 hp rpc as originally planned , pony start but not sure what "add two 20's, same-again." means

- how would I confirm a sustainable 200A service ? Is that something I can do with a phone call or will I be following the hydro poles to the local sub-station ?

- as for the old skewl genny ? As in a starter/generator off an old tractor ? Thats honestly the first thing that comes to mind

Appreciate it

sj

-

I did upgrade my shop to 400 amps. That was the largest that i could go without a demand charge. [/QUOTE]

Is the 400A single phase Turbowerks ? I'm assuming a gang of hydroids changed out your local transformer & wire & meter ? What was the cost ?

So....
- build the 30 hp rpc as originally planned , pony start but not sure what "add two 20's, same-again." means

Once pony-started a 30 HP idler will "probably" start a 20 HP supplementary idler with no need of a second "pony" rig.

The net 50 HP idler then WILL start another 20 HP supplementary idler, no pony.

Worst, case, you'd need two pony motors, not three.

- how would I confirm a sustainable 200A service ? Is that something I can do with a phone call or will I be following the hydro poles to the local sub-station ?
If you got the upgrade to 400 A split-phase, you WILL have at least 200A. Whether your 400 A is full power is also much less in doubt.

It's the "basic" shared last-leg residential they tend to be light on, especially if several homes are on the same transformer. NONE are expected to actually pull their full peak, and least of all not the whole lot at the same time.

- as for the old skewl genny ? As in a starter/generator off an old tractor ? Thats honestly the first thing that comes to mind

Exactly that sort of rig if yah can do it, yes.

Otherwise a pony should be mechanically de-coupled as well as electrically once it has done it's job.

I run a 25HP RPC off of 125A single phase service...
Actually, the RPC and everything 3ph downstream is on a 60A 1ph breaker.
Soft start is your friend.

Back