looking for a molex crimp tool, that isn't $350
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default looking for a molex crimp tool, that isn't $350

I need to make (8) crimps on Molex microfit 3.0 terminals, and I cannot justify the cost to buy Molex's $350 crimper. These are open barrel double crimp fittings, but they're kinda small at 20ga. I found some in the $25 dollar range, but Im not sure if they'll work? THe price seems too good to be true.

Does anyone know of a good, economically priced crimper? I looked at Knipex, but they weren't cheap either.

Also- holy hell, why are the pro grade crimpers sooooo pricey?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    I need to make (8) crimps on Molex microfit 3.0 terminals, and I cannot justify the cost to buy Molex's $350 crimper. These are open barrel double crimp fittings, but they're kinda small at 20ga. I found some in the $25 dollar range, but Im not sure if they'll work? THe price seems too good to be true.

Does anyone know of a good, economically priced crimper? I looked at Knipex, but they weren't cheap either.

Also- holy hell, why are the pro grade crimpers sooooo pricey?
    In theory every single crimp terminal from every supplier has its own crimper.

IF it is a standard 'F' crimp then a generic open barrel crimper will usually do it.

I am not going to bother looking up what that terminal is

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post

IF it is a standard 'F' crimp then a generic open barrel crimper will usually do it.
    good to know!
    Got a brand you'd suggest? My Knipex strippers have this, but it only goes to 16, maybe 18, which is how I got in this mess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At 3mm pitch you can get away with one of these if you're careful.
    0638111000 Molex | Tools | DigiKey
    Crimp around the bare wire and the insulated wire using different notches. Experiment a bit first! Comes in handy for many different connectors.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought a J.S.T. Corporation (Taiwan) crimper tool 10015-JST for $20 in a surplus store. The same tool from a reputable USA company was $350.

This one is like the one I bought. Replaceable jaws to crimp lots of things. There are a few other ones that look and work the same.

RS Pro by Allied - 2534583 - Ratchet Crimp Tool Closed End Splice Connector Connect 1.5-6.0sq mm - Allied Electronics & Automation

Looking at the link again. It is the exact same design as mine. I bought mine a little over ten years ago. Glad nothing or little has changed. It's been a great crimp tool.
    Crimps look good and they are strong.