What's new
What's new

Looking for a VFD RCD (GFP?)

jnicho15

Plastic
The 220V, 1ph, 60hz VFD I plan to purchase specifies that the input should be protected with a 300ma RCD (GFP?). I'm having trouble finding a product that would work for me in the US. Most searches I do return results for British consumer unit breaker/RCDs made for 50hz. Any links to point me in the right direction?

50/60 Hz won't make a difference, but 300mA isn't the UK standard, 30mA is! Are you sure it says 300? There are 100mA RCDs too, intended for runs to outbuildings with their own sub-distribution boards themselves fitted with 30mA RCDs, to protect the digger when the bucket hits the cable...
Assuming (always dangerous) you're feeding it 220 and not using the neutral run L1 and L2 through as L and N on the RCD and it should work fine. If you also use the neutral, use a 3-phase RCD and run that through the 3rd pole.

Dave H (the other one)

IF2ArcW.png
From the manual

There is a lot going on in a VFD that creates ground currents. I would be more inclined to wonder if 300ma was ENOUGH allowance to prevent nuisance trips, depending on the VFD size. Presumably it is, since the manual gives that number.

There is no rule here requiring an RCD, and there is no reason a VFD would need one, it's likely someone's interpretation of some other local code requirement. I would ignore it. You will have nothing but trouble trying to get any RCD device to hold in feeding a VFD.

There is no rule here requiring an RCD, and there is no reason a VFD would need one, it's likely someone's interpretation of some other local code requirement. I would ignore it. You will have nothing but trouble trying to get any RCD device to hold in feeding a VFD.

Not just VFDs, quite a lot of equipment that has filters before noisy circuitry (particularly big switch-mode PSUs - not the little ones in PCs and "domestic" equipment!) will trip 30mA RCDs with the filter's leakage current... And 30mA is the UK/EU requirement, particularly in the UK where "Building Regulations" have gone a bit far on electrical safety but it's allowable to clad tower blocks with flammable plastic :(

Dave H. (the other one)

Back