What's new
What's new

"Low Voltage" Error on VFD

Domodude17

Aluminum
Please feel free to delete and slap my wrists if this isn't allowed, I know Huanyang is banned, but I don't think this is technically a Huanyang?

I have a "Gearflag" VFD, out of some Chinese factory. Has been working fine until yesterday. I got a "low voltage" error out of it. 240v single phase power in is fine, should be getting 240v 3 phase power out. I checked a setting called the "DC Bus Voltage" and it read ~165v, which makes it seem like the VFD is outputting only 2 out of 3 legs of power to the motor.

Does this sound like the VFD simply bit the dust, or could it potentially be a setting or something fixable?

I did email their support line, but I have a premonition that there will be a Teco L510 in my future at this rate. Got one on my bridgeport i'm happy with so far.

IMHO...it's a dead duck. Drives can only trouble code a limited number of things and in my experience whenever the display says low voltage or incoming power loss or anything along those lines, your goose is cooked. As you know, it's very easy to disprove that message by merely checking incoming power with a meter.

The manufacturers should program a code that says "yer fucked"! That would save a lot of head scratching.

Stuart

Without claiming to be an expert on the internal construction of drives, 165 volts DC seems very suspicious. 170 volts peak (VDC in this case) = 120 volts RMS (VAC). If your drive has a dual-rail DC bus, it's almost as if half your input stage has failed. Even so that doesn't seem plausible since a 240V single phase input VFD is a line to line load with no neutral connection. You'd be looking for 340 VDC or nothing at all.

One way or another I'd be suspicious of the input stage and voltage regulation hardware. As far as repairability, it depends on how strong your electronics skills are and how deep you are willing to delve into board-level troubleshooting and repair. If it's just a sh*tty hecho-en-China disposable drive then this might be a good opportunity to upgrade to a genuine ABB, Danfoss, Schneider, Westinghouse, etc. unit. Can't go wrong with an ACS150.

Funny enough, I originally went with this drive because there is a perfect little wedge shaped cubby hole I was planning on fitting it into. As fate would have it, it didn't fit. Ill probably give their support line a few more days to reply and get a replacement on order this weekend!

Back