What's new
What's new

Magnetek impulse series 2 vfd

Ibuildstuff

Plastic
I have a magnetek impulse series 2 vfd. This was designed for crane operation. I would like to use it to run a drilling machine. Specifically to convert 460v single phase into 3 phase. Anybody running a similar setup or have experience with these drives? I have manual, but I can't seem to get it properly programed to run how I would like. There are a ton of programming options. The manual is about 300 pages. Any help would be appreciated.

Magnetek brand-labeled Yaskawa drives up until 2001. The Magnetek version of the manual was actually the BEST one of the many companies that brand-labeled Yaskawa at the time, so finding the original manual from Yaskawa may be even WORSE for you. The drive is (was) nothing special, other than it had a special chipset on it that allowed it to handle some special functions that are necessary when using VFDs on hoists so that the drive can avoid dropping the load. You don't need any of that, basically all you need to do is to first find the parameter that resets EVERYTHING back to the factory defaults. ALWAYS start there with used drives. Next, set it up for basic Sensorless Vector Control, and program the drive to your motor nameplate data, then find the wiring diagrams and make sure the drive is set up for how you want to control it. But...

That drive is at least 17 years old. If it was sitting on the shelf too long without power on it, the caps may be bad now and by just energizing it, you may have permanently damaged it. Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news... If however it was still in service within the last year, maybe two, you might be OK.

Yes it was sitting for a while. I think it was unused though. It had a gm property label on it. All of the knockouts for wiring were still intact and the hour meter was at zero. I did try to condition the capacitors prior to starting it up by slowly increasing voltage over time. It seems to be working ok. I programmed all of the output data for the motor. I have 460v three phase output at 60Hz.

I have two issues. Both are related to the run command. If I'm using the keypad the run button only allows for momentary on. I cant seem to find a option to change it in the programming settings. I attempted to set up remote input controls, but was unsuccessful. I dont appear to have 120v coming from the common terminal used to power the input controls.

I dont appear to have 120v coming from the common terminal used to power the input controls.

Sounds bass-ackwards. VFD *or* DC drive,

When they are anything other than 230/240 V only, the logic and "brains" may have provision for independent input from an external source of power @ 120 VAC.

The actual signal levels for controls is more often a pull up / pull down of a buffered and/or isolated terminal with 10 V to 25 V sense, and Dee Cee at that.

Back to that manual for sorting out what you have and need, here.

120 AC controls have been deprecated for a long time now in favour of no more than 24V

It was the potential shock-hazard issue.

There are a ton of programming options. The manual is about 300 pages. Any help would be appreciated.

Inside every fat book there is a small book trying to get out.

Reset the drive to all default parameters. Then program the minimum number of options, making a cheat sheet.

I have two issues. Both are related to the run command. If I'm using the keypad the run button only allows for momentary on. I cant seem to find a option to change it in the programming settings. I attempted to set up remote input controls, but was unsuccessful. I dont appear to have 120v coming from the common terminal used to power the input controls.

The addendum manual page shows that the external switches are all momentary, like for "raise" and "lower". So do you have to use a latching switch for "raise" which will make it function as "on" and "off".

What you call the common terminal, is that X2?

Last edited:
Yes by "common" I meant x2. I didn't realize there was an addendum page. Thank you I will look for that.

It makes sense if I have to provide the 120v input. That would explain a lot. The manual was not clear, and I was thinking that the x2 terminal was 120v output from the drive used to power the input device.

It makes sense if I have to provide the 120v input. That would explain a lot. The manual was not clear, and I was thinking that the x2 terminal was 120v output from the drive used to power the input device.

You better be sure about that. Ask the Magnetek people.

It appears that because this version of the drive was intended to be used for cranes, where you would NEVER use a maintained Run command, you don't have the option for "3 wire control" (separate Start / Stop push buttons) as you do on other Yaskawa drives. Interesting.

So if you want that, you will have to wire your Start/Stop buttons to an external relay that uses a "seal in" contact around the Start, then wire another Normally Open contact as the Forward input.

It has run, stop, and jog buttons. So I expected it to run until I hit the stop button. Otherwise it would appear that the stop button has no purpose.

It has run, stop, and jog buttons. So I expected it to run until I hit the stop button. Otherwise it would appear that the stop button has no purpose.
Right. If it were not a "crane drive" with different firmware, there would have been an option to program those inputs to work as "3 wire control", which is possible with all other Yaskawa drives. But as I said, apparently they disabled that feature in this version. The inputs are still there and assigned permanently as what's otherwise referred to as "2-wire" control functionality, meaning in only runs when the input is closed, but the Stop has no purpose now.

So I called magnetek today. They confirmed the two wire Control Function. They also confirmed that I need to provide the 120 volt Supply for the input control device. I'm going to wire it up tonight give it a try. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back