Miller deltaweld 450 converted to single phase - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKamp View Post
    Now clean up the mess, connect L1 and L2 to the remaining left side points, add a ground wire, and plug it in for a test.

You'll need somewhere in the range of 110-180uf of OIL FILLED MOTOR RUN capacitors, 370vac rating.
    Dave -

One thing I've noticed in most of the written accounts of these conversions is that they mostly gloss over the "capacitor banks" which to my mind is dangerous for new players - if you get other things wrong, the conversion won't work, but mistakes with caps are usually more...dramatic.

edit: Found a good pic of the cap hookup in Pounceatron's doc here:
    http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/...ep-By-Step.pdf

Erik
    Last edited by erikg; 03-29-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So 1 cap of 100 to 180uf or 2 caps of 100 to 180.. thats the part u wanna make 100% sure of

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Troy25 View Post
    So 1 cap of 100 to 180uf or 2 caps of 100 to 180.. thats the part u wanna make 100% sure of
    You'll need one bank of capacitors on EACH side of the winding, so 180 on the top, 180 on the bottom.

Yes, Eric- capacitor banks are glossed over. They should ALWAYS have bleeder resistors across EACH capacitor's terminals. That way, if a capacitor becomes disconnected from the wiring, it will still discharge itself to a safe level. "Dramatic" is an understatement when things really go awry.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lincoln 3 phase to single phase

Hi Dave,

I have a question. I am buying a used Lincoln Invertec Power Wave 450. It's a 3 Phase, Robotic machine, and according to Lincoln, they last made these in 1999. What I am wondering is, can this be converted to single phase like you did with the old Miller CP 250 ?

Thanks sincerely,

Barry

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Barry, the Power Wave 450 is what most call an inverter machine, which operates differently than the Miller CP or any "transformer" machine. Both have a transformer inside, but they operate at very different frequencies. The PW450 works by rectifying the three phase AC into DC, stored across a pair of big capacitors at somewhere around 325V DC per capacitor. It then uses transistors (high speed electronic switches) to make that DC into a squarewave AC at ~20kHZ so it can use a smaller transformer to get the same power to the electrodes.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most inverters can run single or three phase, provided you know which legs you need to connect to power the control boards (usually L1 and L2), and the machine doesn't have an automatic shutdown when the third leg is lost. I suspect the PW450 has an automatic shutdown for that because it is designed for automated welding. If it does, you could probably trick the machine into thinking it has a third leg. To keep the input capacitors safe and cool, you would need to derate the machine by about half, which is about 2/3 the amperage when all is said and done.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I looked at the manual for a Power Wave 450, which doesn't have enough information to determine the best way to proceed. Have you tried just powering it up on L1 and L2? Sorry for the multiple posts, I kept losing the post when I tried to make a long single post.