What's new
What's new

Moore jig borer wiring question

rkdygert

Plastic
I have recently acquired a moore jig borer and can't determine if it has a dual voltage motor or not. It has a 6-lead dual speed motor, but has no wiring diagram that tells if it is dual voltage as well. Right now, I know it's wired 440, I need to rewire it for 220 if possible. I've hunted around on the web and in the forums and can't find a 6-lead dual speed dual voltage motor wiring diagram anywhere...does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Ryan

440v Motor

Most 440v motors are 440 only. If the leads are numbered, you tie together the leads in this order: 1-7, 2-8, 3-9, and 4-5-6 together for 220v.

The machine that I recently bought is 440 only. The machine wiring diagram should be in the electrical cabinets on either side of the column. If its there it will show the motor wiring. If it is not look at the control transformer terminals and determine if it is dual voltage. With only six leads I suspect it is a single voltage.

Look in the transformer and vfd section for ways to make it 220 volt.

If you change the motor input voltage....

Don't forget that you need to address the coil voltage of all the contactors (line voltage or low voltage?) and the value of all the overloads as well. Easier to get a step-up transformer and feed the machine and its controls directly from it.

I have a Moore jig bore and it is 440 only I still need to make it run. I have had it 5 years and it is all restored and sitting in the corner. I guess I didnt really need one. But dang are they nice.

I have the wiring diagram for the machine, it was in the side cabinet. It says 220/440 on the diagram but doesn't give any information on wiring the motor up for low voltage (only tells how to wire the motor for high and low speed, 2-pole 4-pole I'm guessing).

Does anyone know if it's even possible to have a 6-lead two speed motor that is dual voltage?

Thanks everybody,
-Ryan

Is it a Robbins/Meyers motor ? My Moore runs off 208/220. It is a B-18, made around 1980. Prints are in the door, but I am going to be out of the shop for a few days.. I will look when I get back...

I powered me 440 only machine with a vfd and transformer just to get it running and to check the mechanical components.

My long term plan is to remove the 'reeves' drive(s) and set up the motor to direct drive the spindle using the the vfd and both motor speeds. A programmable relay and a few ladder type instructions and ZAP.

no¢

moore jig borer model 1 wiring

Anyone have a picture of the wiring diagram inside the cabinet of a model 1 moore jig borer, I sure could use it to finish this project.

A 6 lead 2 speed is single voltage only. Do you have a motor tag to post?

Most machine tools use the constant HP variety. Attached diagrams for NEMA types.
2Spd 6Lead 1Voltage Terminal Marking&Connections.jpg

SAF Ω

Last edited:
Ryan,

I am trying to get my Moore Jig Bore 1 up and running. Could you possibly share with me the wiring diagram? The heavy part is that I have a friend coming today to help me out, so if you get this a cad can do anything for us, please do let me know!

With many thanks,

Glenn Bewley

Back