What's new
What's new

motor on my mill

dalem954

Plastic
The motor on my mill is making odd noises .It is a 3 ph motor running with a ph converter . If it were a gas engine it sounds like it is missing . Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks
Dale

what kind of phase converter, capacitor/static or rotatory? My china man lathe sounds like it starts and stops run on a capacitor/static. When it was run on a rotatory it ran smooth.

Tim

It is a capacitor Box .It started out by making a funny noise when I Would turn the power off. Then last night it started to make the same noise while it is running . It also seems to be running slow . Thanks

It is a capacitor Box .It started out by making a funny noise when I Would turn the power off. Then last night it started to make the same noise while it is running . It also seems to be running slow . Thanks

The obvious thing to do is get the power off and open the capacitor box.
Be VERY careful, I have seen some that do not discharge the capacitors.
Measure the DC voltage across the 2 leads for each capacitor. It may be over 200 Volts. It needs to be less than 10-20 Volts to be safe to work inside the box.
Inspect the vent on the black plastic case capacitor(s) for leaking. If the start circuit is not working properly to disconnect the start capacitor, (the black plastic job) they will overheat and leak. If this capacitor is not disconnected after starting, but left in circuit, you have symptoms as you describe.

Bill

The other possible issue is that the capacitor is supposed to be disconnected by a relay when the motor has come up to speed. That is for the black plastic cased type (starting capacitor).

It is possible that is not happening, which will damage the capacitor, and make the motor run badly.

Back