What's new
What's new

Mounting Motor Stator in opposite direction

Locus

Plastic
Maybe someone could confirm that when mounting a motor stator; if the stator is mounted in the wrong direction i.e. in the reverse to its initial mounting position, the revolution speed of the motor will be decreased.

Speed will not be affected.

If the wires are hooked up exactly the same in both cases, the direction of rotation will be reversed, but that can usually be easily fixed by changing wiring.

Very likely that the rotor and stator magnetic centers would become misaligned. Your bearings would see thrust loads and the motor would be liable to overheat. Not advisable.

Possible that the motor RPMs could be reduced under load due to impediment of rotor-stator flux interaction if rotor and stator are axially misaligned.

What's handed about the rotor? I thought the squirrel cage was symmetric, no handedness.

Motor STATOR was what was mentioned. The fixed windings. If it is reversed inside the case*, the pole sequence is reversed relative to the motor case, unless the connections are also reversed.

Reversing the ROTOR does not affect anything as to rotation, but it will move the shaft to the other end, and in a single phase motor, messes up the start switch. And in something like a Baldor style grinder, the retaining nuts may now loosen instead of tighten in use, as the LH and RH ends are swapped.

* or if the center case is reversed relative to the bell housings and rotor. That can be useful if you have a non-reversible style single phase motor, and need to reverse it, but is not always possible to do easily.

Many times the stators are symmetrical, but some are not. You need to measure the lamination core to the end bell rabbet fit to make sure both sides are the same distance. Sometimes they are offset a little and you can't rotate it.

Many times the stators are symmetrical, but some are not. You need to measure the lamination core to the end bell rabbet fit to make sure both sides are the same distance. Sometimes they are offset a little and you can't rotate it.

Yes. You may get an un-centered rotor, which causes a number of problems.

Pump FLowrate

Yes. You may get an un-centered rotor, which causes a number of problems.

Someone told me that he experiences reduced motor speed for a submersible pump after rewinding and noted that the stator was mounted in the reverse position.

Maybe the stator was not symmetrical and the rotor was not centered.

Someone told me that he experiences reduced motor speed for a submersible pump after rewinding and noted that the stator was mounted in the reverse position.

Maybe the stator was not symmetrical and the rotor was not centered.

Pumps and fans have a variable load.... so if there is a reduction in power from the motor, they can still work, with increased "slip", which means slower speed. When the pump/fan slows, the required power is reduced, allowing the lower power to operate the pump.

If the rotor is not entirely inside the stator, there would be reduced power. There may also be increased current draw, and heating.

Back