What's new
What's new

Need advice on shop power for new home build

systemsplanet

Plastic
Anyone with advice for requesting new power circuit from Duke Energy in SC?

I heard it's easier to find good lightly used machine equipment if you go 3 phase,
since businesses upgraded long before useful life.

Need advice on:
- how to save on the power install with 3 phase pole on neighbors lot across the street.
- how not to get denied power service (asking too little or too much service)
- how to size power for the future if shop grows
- how to save money in long run

DETAILS

New Shop Power Requirements
- will be acquiring shop equipment after the home/shop are built.
- mill, lathe, arc welder, drill press, etc.
- Power Options
- 120 volt, single phase
- 240 volt, single phase
- 208/120volt - 4 wire, 3 phase
- 480/277volt - 4 wire, 3 phase
- other?

New Home Power Requirements
- 120 volt 3 wire single phase for basic home appliances
- 240 volt 3 wire single phase for well pump, stove, dryer, electric car, AC, heat
- Grid tied solar sell-back

Should I hire an electrician to answer my questions?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Duke Energy Doc
https://www.duke-energy.com/_/media/pdfs/partner-with-us/service-requirements-manual.pdf

Load sizing questionnaire starts on page 108.

Just one data point for you...

local three phase wiring runs along the front side of my son's property. He was quoted $40K to get a 400 amp 440volt three phase service. pretty sure 400 amp is the smallest offer, you can ask for either 440 or 220.

I suggest you ask for a budget for a 400 amp service from your local company. If its in your price range. Hire an electrician to get at least the mains service panels installed.

Walk out to the road, and look UP ! Or wherever your power is gonna come from.

Take a pix of the powerlines servicing your street, and post them here.

Just one data point for you...

local three phase wiring runs along the front side of my son's property. He was quoted $40K to get a 400 amp 440volt three phase service. pretty sure 400 amp is the smallest offer, you can ask for either 440 or 220.

I suggest you ask for a budget for a 400 amp service from your local company. If its in your price range. Hire an electrician to get at least the mains service panels installed.

It may depend on what is nearby.

At the last shop, which was at the edge actually next door to a residential area, there was a fence company across the way, who had a 45 kVA 208 service. The powerco just tagged us onto that, and it was a lot less than $40K. All they had to do was pull another wire in the conduit over to the building, and put the 3 phase meter box up in place of the old one.

IF you can get the 208/120 reasonable you should be able to run everything on that.

If they want silly money, for a home shop you can run on VFd s or Rotary converters forever.

I ran 2 CNCs, 1 manual mill, 5 hp lathe, 3 phase tumbler and a 5hp saw on a pair of shop built rotary converters for years. With as many as 3 guys

IF you are by yourself you will never need enough capacity to bother paying for big power

You may be able to get the 3ph service installed cheaply but check what the monthly bill will be first. Many utilities will up the base monthly rate to big numbers when you have that installed. I can get it for $5k here, but my bill would go to $300/mo before I plug anything in, if I remember correctly. I will continue to use rotary phase converters until a phase perfect is warranted.

base cost without turning anything on in my area is $100 just to be hooked to the grid, plus I would have had to pay to replace the 4 poles and run about 400 yards of wire. poles are about $3500 each here. easier to get a larger 1ph feed up to 367A at 600V

If you are on a budget and just getting started, you will be surprised what can be run off a single ph 200 amp service. What you have listed could be easily run on that service. As mentioned you need some type of phase convertor.

Back