Need help 460 3 phase to 220 or 110 single phase!!
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Need help 460 3 phase to 220 or 110 single phase!!

Hello everyone, I'm in desperate need of some help. I just purchased an old Hedwick Mill MV100 and I cant' wait to get it going. Only issue is, I'm having difficulties figuring out how to transform it from 460 (i THINK?) to 220 or 110v. My specifications are the following.

Baldor Model No. M3554T
    I have a control panel with a Furnas 14CS 32A
    The overload relay below the main switch/control panel is model furnas 48asb3m20
    Also linked to all this is a transformer Type No. TA-2-81210 that you can see in the photos, it's inside that box below the Furnas controller.

I will post pictures of all of this, including the machine in just a second.

hedwickmill.jpg
    controller_hedwick.jpg
    transformer_hedwick.jpg
    motor_hedwick.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The transformer way is to get a single phase transformer 220 or 110volts input to 460 volts output
    Then a VFD with a single phase input capable of 460 volts and a 3 phase output
    You can change frequency=motorspeed too then
    All suited for the amps/power needed or better a bit more

Peter

3. Likes pracydna liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I forgot to mention the mill has it's own variable speed built in. It also has a reverse/forward switch that's very conveniently located on the front, as well as a power switch along side that. I'd like to keep that setup if possible. Is the transformer picture not 220/110? I swear, I wish I was better with this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the transformer picture not 220/110?
    Says right on it that it is a control transformer - and feeds only such as the coil circuit for the magnetic starter in photo 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your motor is 3 phase, you cannot simply re-wire it to single phase. Your motor is reconnectable to 230V 3 phase, your options to run it on single phase are 1 Static converter with a loss of 1/3 of power rating. 2 Rotary phase converter. 3 variable frequency drive/vfd.

Or if possible swap out motor for a single phase motor, at 1.5hp you would be best served running it at 220v, tag may indicate it can also be run on 110, but you will need heavier wiring and larger capacity circuit breaker to do so.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question for you and thank you for your response. If I went with a vfd, would that affect the built in variable speed on the machine at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pracydna View Post
    Question for you and thank you for your response. If I went with a vfd, would that affect the built in variable speed on the machine at all?
    I'm going to assume its a vari-drive? If so, no, you can either set vfd at 60hz and use the vari-drive, or you can set vari-drive at 1 spot and use the vfd to control motor speed. Me, I'd set vfd at 60hz and use the vari-drive, some people have different preferences. If mill is only 3ph machine you plan on getting, vfd is probably easiest most cost effective way to go. If the mill is just first of many machines you want, rotary phase converter may be a better option as it can run multiple machines. If money is no object, you might want a Phase Perfect.