What's new
What's new

Need HELP with DAYTON motor & old drum switch!

bigoldork

Plastic
Good morning so picked up a Le blond regal 13 x 40 and all it had was this drum switch and a 2 hp compressor motor running at 3450 rpm. Now I have searched and the lathe originally shipped with a 3/4 horsepower set up so now I have this DAYTON 3/4 HP motor and a drum switch with no label on it any longer and a screw in the face of it blocking the switch from going into reverse (but screw has been removed now) and no damage to any internal parts has been done as far as I can tell. Now my question is how do I wire this thing up and if possible if switch will allow is there any problem with wiring it for 220 vac power or since the switch has so much wear would I just be better off wiring up a mag start with all this Allen Bradley stuff I have or maybe just get one of them single phase VFD/speed controller deals ? Totally open to any and all suggestions here but I thank you in advance for all the help here its much appreciated. Now hopefully I can upload these pics lolPicture 27.jpgPicture 25.jpgPicture 26.jpgPicture 22.jpgPicture 21.jpg

Oy vey, not again. This question gets asked here about once a week minimum, maybe reading some of those threads will help.

Step 1. Map the switch and figure out if its the right switch for single phase.
Step 2. Draw out how to wire it for CW rotation.
Step 3. Draw out how to wire it for CCW rotation
Step 4. Combine what you learned in steps 1 thru 3 and wire it.

If steps 1 thru 4 are above your pay grade, call a sparky.

Well being that I'm only 17 I'm kind of still a dumbass that does not know much about electrical, hell I'm still in high school that's why I'm asking for help and not smart ass remarks ya see. So if someone could please tell me what to do that would be great if not I'll just go some place else that will help nota big problem. But once again thanks in advance for the help and have a happy 4th of July

Whether you are 17, or 70, if you cannot follow the steps I posted above, you will be better off paying an electrician. There is no simple connect the blue wire to the red wire answer. The info for wiring the motor is on the data tag, you will have to map the switch to understand how it works, we cannot simply look at the switch and figure that out. Have a happy 4th.

To be clear, if you handed me the motor and switch, I would have to follow steps that I gave you.

Well being that I'm only 17 I'm kind of still a dumbass that does not know much about electrical, hell I'm still in high school that's why I'm asking for help and not smart ass remarks ya see. So if someone could please tell me what to do that would be great if not I'll just go some place else that will help nota big problem. But once again thanks in advance for the help and have a happy 4th of July

no mater what you want to do in life you can't start any younger ! so get busy wiring or get busy well you know just get busy wiring

Attitude....it's all about attitude.

And sentence's' with spaces. Try hitting the "return" button once in awhile.

The steps are as laid out.

Figure out what you have. The switch is out there in the open when you take off the cover.

Make a sketch that at least sorta shows the terminals. Better yet, make three, one for each position of the switch.

Now look and see what gets connected together in each position of the switch. Draw that connection on the appropriate sketch for that position. You can do this check by eye with most switches, but the best way is to confirm it with an ohmmeter, or even a battery, a bulb and some wire. Something that will tell you there is a connection between two terminals.

There are only a couple or three common switch types. Generally it will turn out to be one of those types. There is a sticky started that has at least one variety shown.

Back