What's new
What's new

need help with electric motor

as i'm aging i'm losing the mental capacity to understand these kinds of schematics and motor diagrams.

basically you've got a thermal protector with 1 input and 2 outputs.

both outputs are used when the motor is connected for 120, but only one when connected for 240.

the start winding connects to one end of the winding, goes through a switch and a capacitor... and is connected to the midpoint of the winding for 240v connections, or it is connected to the end of both paralleled windings for 120v connections.. it is also connected through the thermal reset device.

i think you only need 5 wires exiting the stator to pull this off for a non reversible motor.

if you want to reverse the motor, find the start winding and cut the lacing on the coil and find where it joins the other coil, and bring the required 6th wire out of the motor.

alternatively you can reverse the motor if you leave it connected for 240 but you would lose the thermal safety in (this case, counter clockwise rotation). in the event the motor overheated in counterclockwise, it would slow down and stop and as soon as the clutch engaged the capacitor and start winding would be left with current flowing through them. which one blows up first i would give it a 50/50 coin toss.

this isn't completely unacceptable to me in terms of risk, for a lathe or similar machine. it would never be left "on"

Either way, this won't "Plug reverse" like a 3 phase motor will.
So be aware of this when tapping.

thanks for all the help ,i had the original motor for the lathe, well it went up in smoke,,
thanks for the link to,i had this jet pump motor on a 6" jointer ill have to see what i can find thanks again,
Godbless

as i'm aging i'm losing the mental capacity to understand these kinds of schematics and motor diagrams.

basically you've got a thermal protector with 1 input and 2 outputs.

both outputs are used when the motor is connected for 120, but only one when connected for 240.

the start winding connects to one end of the winding, goes through a switch and a capacitor... and is connected to the midpoint of the winding for 240v connections, or it is connected to the end of both paralleled windings for 120v connections.. it is also connected through the thermal reset device.

i think you only need 5 wires exiting the stator to pull this off for a non reversible motor.

if you want to reverse the motor, find the start winding and cut the lacing on the coil and find where it joins the other coil, and bring the required 6th wire out of the motor.

alternatively you can reverse the motor if you leave it connected for 240 but you would lose the thermal safety in (this case, counter clockwise rotation). in the event the motor overheated in counterclockwise, it would slow down and stop and as soon as the clutch engaged the capacitor and start winding would be left with current flowing through them. which one blows up first i would give it a 50/50 coin toss.

this isn't completely unacceptable to me in terms of risk, for a lathe or similar machine. it would never be left "on"

it is running counter clock wise now, i dont no why, the tag says cw-ope ,running on 110 volt?
Thanks,Godbless

Ok ,got a new motor, which is CW or CCW, i need some help wiring the forward & reverse switch
this motor only has three terminals, see included pic and my switch layout Thanks for all your help
Godbless

100_2128.jpg

lathe switch.jpg

Attachments

• lathe switch.jpg
    lathe switch.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Back