What's new
What's new

Need help powering a DoAll D-6

M. Stone

Plastic
Hello y'all.

I've bought this DoAll D6 surface grinder from an acquaintance. I got it for essentially the cost of scrap. Originally I only want the mag chuck. But now I'm wanting to got it running for use in my blacksmith / bladesmith shop.

I am not much of an electrician & could defiantly use some advice here. I don't know if I'd be better off getting a VFD or RPC to get this hopefully at least running. If not not working properly.

The most go juice I've got at the house is single phase 220v. The shop it came out of was 440v 3ph. Finally, the motor is 550v 3ph 1hp 60hz. I'm assuming it was destined for Canada at some point. The power panel has some stuff going on I don't particularly comprehend yet. There are 3 110v relays & a 110v transformer. Running the spindle motor, hydraulics, & something.

Any help & advice on getting this thing powered is Mich appreciated.

Attachments

• 0205191726b.jpg
    0205191726b.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 0205191726a.jpg
    0205191726a.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 0206191641.jpg
    0206191641.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 0205191725.jpg
    0205191725.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 0205191726.jpg
    0205191726.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 50
I appreciate it. I think that I'm just going to attempt to hunt down a 240v motor somewhere, or have it reworked to suit my requirements. Having it reworked isn't the cheapest option, but I've a local company who says they can do it.

Either way, this isn't real high on my project list. As I'll have to pump some product out the door before I can afford to do anything.

Am I missing a motor or is there only 4A of current draw here?

If so and this came from a 480V shop then I would get a 3kVA or so 240 to 480 transformer that has multiple taps and configure it to give you very high 480. Those transformers should be cheap enough.

I assume you have some three phase motor around to make a phase converter out of.

I have a rotary phase converter buried in the back of the shop somewhere. Its old and crusty & of questionable quality. I've also got a company down the road who'll build me one to whatever specs needed.

Thank you. I'll check into the transformer.

1st off... I'm jealous. Was just in a blade workshop with Steve Rollert. He surface grinds his billets...
Anyway, no idea how the motor is situated in there, but if it's not too difficult why not just pull off all the high voltage stuff and put in a standard motor?

Well gents, I may have stumbled halfway into a solution. Was talking to an old boss of mine & mentioned that I am now looking for a transformer. Guess what he just happened to be wanting to get rid of. Great big old Westinghouse 240/480v transformer. I remember when he bought it years back tto power a 14' shear & its been a boat anchor for 7 years now when they moved buildings. The things the size of a tombstone & heavy.

I can get it for next to nothing. But once again, I'm not knowledgeable about these things. I apologize for the poor pictures

Any advice is appreciated

Attachments

• 0227191343.jpg
    0227191343.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 0227191343a.jpg
    0227191343a.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 51
Well gents, I may have stumbled halfway into a solution. Was talking to an old boss of mine & mentioned that I am now looking for a transformer. Guess what he just happened to be wanting to get rid of. Great big old Westinghouse 240/480v transformer. I remember when he bought it years back tto power a 14' shear & its been a boat anchor for 7 years now when they moved buildings. The things the size of a tombstone & heavy.

I can get it for next to nothing. But once again, I'm not knowledgeable about these things. I apologize for the poor pictures

Any advice is appreciated

From what I can see it appears to be a multi tapped beast which is beneficial here. Either way, if you can get it for cheap 480 will be enough for what you want anyway.

Excellent. Should be able to get it for a hundred or so. As an added bonus, he'll deliver.

Now to find out if my crusty old phase converter works. I will likely replace it regardless. I got it umtenth hand & I know exactly nothing of its history.

Talked to the man today. Basically got it for free with the stipulation that I cover fuel. Its a 2 mile round trip. That fuel charge will be brutal.

This is good, since the rotary phase converter I had is no more. Stolen or scrapped, I don't know. I haven't gone looking for the thing for years now.

So now its off to hunt for another converter of a suitable vfd.

Back