What's new
What's new

Another motor wiring mystery

tomjelly

Stainless
Got a new looking delta 33-830 radial arm saw the other day, a basket case. The motor on this machine is dual voltage single phase capacitor start, and had a switch on it under a cover to change voltage from 120 to 240. It came to me minus the switch, and with some not OEM wire nuts on some of the motor wires, and 2 black wires hanging in the wind- one from the motor and one from the centrifugal switch. Does not run, with or without the 2 black wires connected. Windings LOOK fine. motor has SEVEN wires...owners manual does not have a wiring diagram. Delta customer service doesn't either. Neither does Emerson (LISTED as the motor mfg) or Nidec, who contracted from Emerson, or US motors who actually MADE it (!!!) and this is not an old saw... In any case here is what I have to work with:
IMG_20190818_185809.jpg any ideas? I'm making a chart of resistance readings between wires to try and make some sense of this thing. 8 wires would make a lot mores sense to me though and there are 2 yellow wires...

30uf 370v, metal case. I THINK it's a start cap because it's wired to the centrifugal switch, but I don't know if it's wired right as it sits.

That would be a run capacitor. Its possible the start switch shorts out the capacitor for starting, but personally i have not yet found a motor that does that,

7 wires oit of the stator is odd. If it is a dual voltage non reversible motor then it could have 5 wires from the stator and two from a thermal circuit breaker.

The thermal unit is self contained & in contact with the windings but removable so none of the wires coming out of the stator are from that...

7 wires could be from a tapped start winding. Part of it is permanently connected to the run cap, the other part gets the full line voltage through the start switch, but only briefly.

Back