What's new
What's new

Needed: 3phase plug/recepticle system, cheap. what to shop for.

viper

Titanium
Long story short, we need to have portability and ease of disconnection of 3 different loads. We have extension cables that we use to connect the loads when needed but end up opening the machines and screwing them down. this is getting to be a huge hassle and we would like to get a plug system so we can easily disconnect them.

Wanting something older, ebay find, etc. Just not sure what I need to shop for. Only need 250V rating and about 75-100A rated. Need positive lock system that cannot come apart. Recepticle will also be on an cord and not mounted in the wall.

I have not researched anything yet. With the price of terminations that I just specced out, I was hoping to find some used or new/old stock floating around for some obsolete plug since we don't need compatibility to anything and is only temporary anyway..

A 100 amp load on a cord disconnect is a huge load.

I guess the next question would be does this thing need to be inspected/legal? If there isn't a disconnect for that branch nearby then the cord connection must provide a legal means of disconnect under load.

Meltric devices provide this means and are priced accordingly.

Stuart

No inspection required. No QD requirement. We used to install 400A plugs on ground power units all the time so I figured it was no biggy.

I know where those connectors are. They are used and not highly priced.
If interested I will tell you where, but contact my outside this forum. The
connectors are not mine, I just see them sitting on the shelf every time
I go to a parts store near me.

for stage stuff we used camlock s or camloc s how every they are spelled, they are color coded individual connecter like on the front of newer tig welders. i know they can go up to 400 amps and beyond.

about 20$ per conn at Pro Stage and Studio items - Get great deals on Power Connectors, Power Distribution items on eBay Stores! x5 = 100$ or so

the pin and sleeves that are commonly used were around 250$ +tax

another option that i don't recommend but saw on a temporary stage was arc welding cable bolted to a set of 5 vise grips :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: just unbolt the front of the panel and clamp to the main lugs (do not do this, just the most scary thing I have seen)

for stage stuff we used camlock s or camloc s how every they are spelled, they are color coded individual connecter like on the front of newer tig welders.

WOW, It would seem pretty scary to me to connect each individual leg of a three phase circuit with one of these deals...I know it was mentioned that this is a temporary, non inspected install but this method would seem like disaster waiting to happen.:eek:

Stuart

Yeah, we would really like to stay with a multi conductor plug. I was hoping there was some certain plugs that I can search by name. We learned about amphenol plugs a while back and seems to be a general term for multi pin plugs. We LOVE them..

Sounds like a commercial shop. I think you may be restricted to UL approved NEMA type plugs and connectors. I suggest a list of bullet points.

Current rated
Voltage and phase specific
Multi conductor
Current carrying neutral (for 3 phase "Y" systems)
Grounded shell
UL approved
NEC compliant
Multi-source (preferably)
One man connectable.
Positive retention
Documented (to keep OSHA snoops happy)

Hubbell makes a line of shell and tube connectors for applications lke yours but I caan't seem to find them on their website. The Navy uses these by the zillions for shore power connections.

Best I could find is this for single conductors: http://www.e1llc.com/media/EZ-1016Flyer.pdf

Along with Meltric there is Appleton, both of which are found on eBay. These things don't seem to go for peanuts...they perform a critical function so they hold their price...probably because there isn't any other option than using a device like this..

Stuart

I did want to add that I do not need neutral for any of these loads so a 1ph plug might just work fine. 4 total contacts or 3 load plus ground. That is pretty typical for 240V 1ph plus with neutral carried through. I guess most of those would not have a good lock though.

These damn plugs are pricey!!! I remember those GPU plugs we used were costing us about 200 per end!! I think I am in the wrong business!

Back