What's new
What's new

New direction for me, bought a Jet TL-42

DMSentra

Cast Iron
Little turret lathe, similar size of dsm59 Hardinge I think. 4 speeds, collet closer, 6 station turret, bed mounted cross slide carriage, cutoff mounted above the spindle, with bar feed.

The turret needs to come apart for some diagnosing and fixing as it doesn't index properly. The speed lever set screw has a looseness issue that needs addressed.

But the puzzler I'll look into first is this. When at the sellers place the lathe was wired into his VFD for power and it seemed to start up and run just fine. It came up to speed slowly but he said he had the vfd programmed for soft start, no problem. No noises, straining, nothing. I get it home here and plugged it into my 20hp rotary pc and I get considerable hum and what seems like less speed that I should in the short time I let it run. Sounds like it's single phasing to me. My rotary runs my Monarch 10hp just fine. My lack of experience with single phasing leave me blank. All I know is green is ground, if it runs backwards switch to of the 3 hot legs. Did I wire it wrong, was the real wet trip home on the trailer a death sentence, or am I missing something entirely new to me? Loren

What did you end up doing with this TL-42?

Do you have a manual or other tool holders for it?

Thanks.

I don't remember what the problem was here but I've been working this lathe. It does get real sluggishly slow to wind up when left alone for a while in cold temps so maybe that was the problem.

I don't remember what the problem was here but I've been working this lathe. It does get real sluggishly slow to wind up when left alone for a while in cold temps so maybe that was the problem.

DMSentra let me know if you want to get rid of any tooling or parts for this machine.
I would really like to get some measurements of the vertical cut off attachment for this.
Thanks again for your response in December

Back